News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Details about Rosie

Started by railtwister, October 18, 2019, 08:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Is Rosie based on the same tooling as the HO 0-6-0 rectangular side tank switcher, or is she new tooling? I can't really tell from the illustrations. If the answer is yes, then she should be a very good running engine.

Bill in FtL

TTL

Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

railtwister

Since my first post, I have been looking around on the web, and have found some better pictures of Rosie, plus a review, and also a review of an American war export 0-6-0 from Bachmann UK loco (not sold in the USA) whose shape looks identical to Rosie, so now I'm wondering if those two locos are actually the same? The war export 0-6-0 is said to have metal axle bearings and DCC (plug/socket?), do you suppose any of these positive features got carried over to Rosie?

Bill in FtL

TTL

Yes, that's her basis, The USATC S100. The model you mentioned is the proper OO model of the S100 Bachmann makes as a limited model and a Model-Rail exclusive. Pretty much nothing is shared between the 2, other than the same company makes them, but even then they were made by 2 separate divisions of the company. Rosie is more of a stylized depiction of a USA tank, very far from the actual proportions, dimensions etc.

railtwister

Thanks for the quick reply STL. I'm surprised to hear that there were two sets of tooling made for this loco, seems like an expensive way to go. I would have guessed that even if the bodies were slightly different, they could have at least shared the mechanism between the two. The word of actual axle bearings and all wheel pickup seemed too good to be true, so I guess it really was...

Bill in FtL

TTL

I mean, it's not really surprising? One was made cause Rosie is heavily stylized and the other is a proper scale model? Pretty Bachmann US make a US spec S100 and Rivarossi make a Euro-spec one, both of those in HO 

Rodimus Supreme

Bachmann doesn't do what Hornby used to do. They make the models to be as screen-accurate as possible. Rosie was heavily altered from her basis, and thus would not share any parts with it. The Bachmann Thomas models are nowhere near as detailed as any other line of HO/OO Scale locomotives, so her sharing tooling with another engine that's not her basis was never going to happen anyway. The Thomas and Friends line is a separate line and the only time toolings have been reused were toolings from Bachmann UK for rolling stock for both Standard Gauge and Narrow Gauge.

TTL

Aye. Only time any tooling is reused is in the Standard Gauge line, with about 90% of the rolling stock coming from old Mainline toolings. The open trucks, not the slate trucks btw, and I believe the vans from the NG range are Peco toolings, not really old, just reused and marked up cause of the license.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: STL on November 02, 2019, 11:36:42 PM
Aye. Only time any tooling is reused is in the Standard Gauge line, with about 90% of the rolling stock coming from old Mainline toolings. The open trucks, not the slate trucks btw, and I believe the vans from the NG range are Peco toolings, not really old, just reused and marked up cause of the license.
I know, that's what I said.