News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Parts for Old Trains?

Started by wm3798, January 26, 2020, 11:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm3798

Back in the 80s and 90s, Bachmann produced a lot of locomotives that were halfway decent runners, some with pretty good detail, but most of them had the problem of having their white nylon gears, which also served as the drive axles, split, which renders the locomotive useless.

More recent releases utilize a superior design and black delrin plastic gears, which are much more durable.  So far, the only locomotives that have been reintroduced from the old days with the better gearing in N scale are the Plymouth switcher, the 0-6-0 shifter, and 2-6-2 Prairie, the 4-8-4 Northern, the trolleys and the Spectrum F-7 series.  (There may be others, but they don't leap to mind).  Everything esle that Bachmann has released since changing over to the better gears have been entirely new designs, which has been a great improvement in every respect.

But the older Reading style Consolidation 2-8-0 (not to be confused with the newer Spectrum Baldwin model) and its sister, the 2-8-2 Mikado, as well as interesting and well done engines like the E-60 Amtrak electric, and the small 0-4-0 switcher haven't seen the light of day in a couple of decades.  These models turn up frequently on the auction sites, but the cracked gear problem makes them hard to buy or sell.

I've tried purchasing 3-D printed replacement gears for my Mikado, but they didn't fare too well.  It would be nice if we could get factory fresh replacements that match the geometry of the old ones, but made from the modern, more durable plastic. 

If not that, it would be nice to see those old models reintroduced with current level of detail and technology.  I really enjoy my Spectrum steam, and my S-4 and 44 ton switchers.

Any thoughts from the Bach Man?

Lee

James in FL

Quotehalfway decent runners

Quotesome with pretty good detail, but most of them had the problem of having their white nylon gears, which also served as the drive axles, split, which renders the locomotive useless

QuoteIt would be nice if we could get factory fresh replacements that match the geometry of the old ones, but made from the modern, more durable plastic.  

Good luck with that coming from Bachmann.

I think you will have to look somewhere else.
Maybe here?

https://www.gearsmade.com/

I think Al is still in business.

Good luck in your quest.

Bachmann has always, and continues to, make entry level model trains.  
That's their niche in the hobby, they own that.

I think your expectations maybe to high.

You get what you pay for.
Don't expect more than that.
They will not last your lifetime.

wm3798

You're not wrong, James.

I guess I'm clinging to my youth by wishing for those carcasses in my junk box to rise from their grave.  Lately I've been on a bit of a retro kick, pursuing the N scale equivalent of a Lionel Collector...  We used to call it "N Scale High Rail"

I've already endeavored to build an entirely new drive for an old Metroliner, and I'm presently working on repowering an E60 using a better 5-pole motor... but I'm hung up on the split gears.

In all reality, I'm not looking for true prototype fidelity as much as I am an inveterate tinkerer, and I just want to try to make the old dogs run a little better (or at all!) than they did out of the box.  If you go to the auction sites and type in "N scale used repair" in the search, there's a ton of Bachmann products out there begging for new parts...  Not something Bachmann should be particularly proud of...  Especially given the enormous leaps forward they've made with their higher end Spectrum releases.

I believe there's a market out there as those of us who grew up in the 70s in the Dark Ages of N, as we try to reclaim some of our memories.  I've got some old Rivarossi steam and Trix and Rapido diesels I love from that era, and they run as smoothly as ever ... with a little coaxing and some contact cleaner, of course.  The fact is, Bachmann sold some interesting prototypes that no one else has ever released, such as the E60 and Metroliners, and it would be nice if they either offered some retrofits for the old ones, or newly tooled Spectrum versions to fill the void.

Lee

James in FL

Are you looking for just axle gears?