News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Wheel standards

Started by Terry Toenges, October 23, 2019, 11:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Are Bachmann wheels different than what NMRA standards call for? I'm just curious.
I saw this article where this guy talks about it in the second to the last paragraph.
http://www.trainweb.org/NarrowGaugeNews/model-wsl.html?fbclid=IwAR3CdUxhhT3wOhjJnhisOm4_JYAPL8rBcuDLxRByzcxnHq7zHvuNMwwdfnA
Feel like a Mogul.

ebtnut

AFAIK the Bachmann wheelsets comply with the NMRA HO standards.  I've never had any issues with them.  Never hurts to check any wheelsets with an NMRA gauge for tire width and flange depth.  I would note that HO, On30 and On3 all use the same wheel and flange standards.  The only difference is that On3 is a wider gauge than HO/On30.

Terry Toenges

In all these years of following Bachmann, I had never heard anyone complain or question Bachmann wheels. That's why I wondered about it.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

My experience is:

The wheels meet the same standards as other manufactures.  However, the axle points are set at a slightly shorter length.  In other words, Bachmann wheelsets will fit loosely in the journal boxes of say Accurail or Tichy trucks, if you get my meaning.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

The older cars, usually the ones with talgo trucks or NMRA couplers, use wheelsets that do not conform to NMRA RP25 specs. This is true of almost all ready to run cars made before the mid 1990s. Usually if the cars have knuckle couplers they will also have RP25 wheels.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Thanks guys. i'm always learning.
Feel like a Mogul.

James in FL

Your calipers (forget the gauge) will put an end to internet ga ga.
I'm N scale, don't have any B'mann HO wheelsets to inspect.
Terry asks if they are (NMRA) compliant, the answer is either yes or no, not almost or mostly.
Let's see facts, not assumption, or speculation.
One of you HO's can measure.
Post what you find for all of us.

bbmiroku

Why did my first readthrough read that as " one of you hoes can measure"?

jward

Quote from: James in FL on October 23, 2019, 11:35:56 PM
Terry asks if they are (NMRA) compliant, the answer is either yes or no, not almost or mostly.
Let's see facts, not assumption, or speculation.

That question WAS answered in my post. But i'll repeat it in a simplified version. For cars with body mounted knuckle couplers, yes they are NMRA compliant. For older cars with truck mounted horn hook couplers, no they are NOT compliant
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Quote from: bbmiroku on October 25, 2019, 02:02:17 AM
Why did my first readthrough read that as " one of you hoes can measure"?

I get it! HAWHAWHAW!!!!!! 😂🤪😂