News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reverse loop

Started by mkb, October 23, 2019, 02:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mkb

I have a Big Hauler that I set up for the holidays every year.  I would like to add a reversing loop to each end of a straight piece of track.  I would like to have the train run uninterrupted while entering each return loop and heading back in the opposite direction. Knowing that the loop will cause a short circuit if I tie it back in using only a manual turnout, are there any simple connection options.  For example, is there a short section of plastic track that can be inserted in the loop.  If the nonconducting section was about an inch long, the circuit would be broken while short enough for the train to pass over without the wheels completing the circuit.

jward

You would need longer than an inch of isolated track in each loop. Since your set is dc, you won't be able to use an autoreverse unit to control these loops. It is a relatively simple to wire your track configuration using an Atlas Controller. The wiring diagram to connect a reversing loop is included with this component. Keep in mind that you will need to operate both the Controller AND the manual switch each time your train uses the loop. There are other methods of controlling a loop as well, including a bridge rectifier wired in series with the track. But any configuration you use with DC trains will require your active participation when running the train. You won't be able to just turn it on and let it run
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Len

There are ways to automate reverse loop operation on a DC layout. This is one:
https://www.azatrax.com/reverse-loop-system-2.html

Do a search using "DC layout automatic reverse loop control" (without the quotes) and you'll find others.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bbmiroku

Another option to consider would be a gauntlet track running the length of your single-track section.  A gauntlet track is two tracks on a slightly bigger space than one track.  One set of tracks is offset slightly, maybe 1/8 inch. This would negate the need for a reverse loop as technically, the train is not returning on the same tracks it used to get to there.