News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 turntable wiring

Started by SteamOn30, October 23, 2019, 08:41:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamOn30

As you can see I am new to the modeling business.  I purchase a really nice wood laser cut ON30 turntable kit.  The kit came with a pdf instruction but no real wiring diagrams.  When I asked the manufacturer his comments (paraphrasing) was I would have thought you would have had the basic concept about wiring.  But no I don't and wasn't going to get it from him.  He suggested I use a Dual frog juicer, for reversing polarity, which since I'm using DCC Bachmann EZ command system would also require a DCC booster.  It didn't show how to wire the track or turntable with that.  Also my thought was would the Bachmann auto reversing module work instead of the juicer/booster and if so how best to wire it?  He also said I could use a DCC loco decoder to wire to the motor to control it like a loco from the EZ command control.  Again no wiring suggestions.  I guess I should have spent $1000 on a completed turntable and not tried this challenge.  Any suggestion?  Thanks

Flare

Hello, I admit that I don't have a turntable on my layout, but I have gleaned some tips that may help you:

Depending on how your turntable rotates, you might be able to use headphone connectors as the pivot point, and use them for passing power up to the rails

Alternatively, you can use contact points under the turntable that that the rail wires will touch, but leave gaps in a position where the table will face away from any tracks.

As for reverse loop module vs frog juicer, I would prefer a reverse loop module since it will switch the polarity of both rails at the same time.  A juicer can be configured to do that, but unless you have turnouts in the area I don't see any advantage over a RLM.

rich1998

Welcome.

You have been given a few basic instructions but understand manufactures believe molders should have knowledge of DCC before venturing into modeling. This is not the first time I have seen this.
Please note. The EZ Command is good for programming the loco number but you cannot modify CV's which you will eventually find important.
This forum will help you a lot. I have never used a TT but I understand the principle.
I have been running DCC and converting for at least twenty  years.

Rich

SteamOn30

Thanks for the answers.  I have learned some more as to how to wire the turntable.  Since no one can see what I am using I have to solder wires on the track of the turntable which are then soldered to a PCB.  There are sprung plungers that make contact with the PCB and on the backside of those plungers are soldered the auto reversing module.  I'll see how that all works but it starting to make sense.  Thanks for those who have given input.   :)