News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Railcars randomly disconnect

Started by pherbst, October 29, 2019, 06:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pherbst

I have a new N gauge setup and I'm having trouble with various railcars disconnecting from each other as they go around the track. When this occurs the couplers are not matching each other in height. One coupler will be lower than the other so the coupled connection is barely made. The cars will separate as the train moves and flexes. I can't figure out how to get the two couplers to match each other.  Any ideas as to what is going on?

Flare

Is your track on a flat surface?  Height differences below the track will affect what's above it too.

Also, double-check your rail connections; If a joiner's going under a rail the cars will lift on that side.

Maletrain

If the couplers are not at the same height when the cars are on a level track, then you really need to address the couplers. 

Microtrains sells a coupler gauge that sits on the tracks with a MicroTrains coupler in it that is at the correct height.  There is also a trip pin gauge (flat piece of metal 0.010" thick) that lets you figure out how to make the trip pins be at the correct height once you get their couplers fixed.

There are a lot of knuckle coupler types and mount types, made by different manufactures, and even the same manufacurer at different times in the past.  And, there are the conversion knuckle couplers to get from the old Rapido type to some sort of knuckle type.  Those conversion types typically have a T-shank inside the coupler box and they have a tendency to sag too low at the knuckle.  So, without seeing what you actually have that is giving you trouble with your trains uncoupling, it is hard to tell you what you need to do to fix your specific problem(s).

NscaleNut

I really want to see your setup.

Can you post a YouTube video?