News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement gear.

Started by Frank6926, October 31, 2019, 03:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank6926

Does anyone know, are the drve gears in a climax the same as the gears in a 3 truck Shay? I am faced with the problem replacing cracked gears in a 3 truck Shay. Nwsl may be able to help, but there seems to be more metal gears related to the climax, then the shay.

WoundedBear

They are not the same gear.

Sid

rich1998

Have you checked with NWSL fo a supply of gears? I have noticed they have a now site with new owner. It has been some time since I looked up their supply of gears. I use to by from then some years ago. My papaer catalogs are quite old.

Rich

jonathan

NWSL was briefly closed. The previous owner turned the operations over.  NWSL is now back in business.  It's taking a little time to catch up, but I believe their products are now available.  I've always had good luck with them getting the parts I need to upgrade or repair locomotives.

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Order the updated side frames from Bachmann. They are a whole lot easier to install than the NWSL gears.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1651

Sid

Frank6926

Ok. I am really proud of myself. Got the new sideframes installed. I am almost 80, failing eyesight, and bad nerves. So if I can do it, anyone can. Lol. New life in my Shay.

Thermo

I am in kinda the same boat as others.  I am attempting to repair a 3 truck Climax for a friend who bought the locomotive new a year or so ago, put the loco on the track long enough to make sure it worked (supposedly ran it about 6 feet).  No issues.  They pull it out a year later to run around the christmas tree and it moved barely an inch and went into neutral (ie, locomotive is not moving, but the operating cylinders are going).  After tearing the locomotive down to almost parade rest, I found that the driveline in the front truck has a split gear on it (broke into 2 pieces).  No problems, Bachmann still sells this driveshaft (atleast for the moment).  But, further digging into the locomotive, I found that the driveshaft in the gearbox that drives the trucks has a split gear on it.  Bachmann used to sell this driveshaft, but no longer does because they are out of stock and have no plans to make any more.  My only option at this time would be to buy a whole new motor/gearbox/frame for the locomotive for $130, just to have the same "weak" gear in it.  I have a hard time telling my friend that his expensive new locomotive now needs $150 ($130 for a frame, $8 for the driveshaft, and $7+ for S&H) worth of parts after moving 6 feet.  Discussions with the service department were of no help as they said that they don't have the part and will never get the part.

So, my question to all of you is that I see all these new gear recommendations (NWSL gears) but is there anything for the gearbox gears.  Great, with NWSL coming back on line, I may have a chance at getting the gears on the driveshaft in the  truck that will not fail (granted, those are still pretty pricy, but if you want something that runs.......).  But, I still need the 10 toothed (I believe) tooth non-tapered gear for the driveshaft in the gearbox.  Anyone got a lead on something that will work?  I have heard of the "ShayFixer.com" website, but looking at what he has, he only has parts for the trucks, not the gear box as it pertains to the Bachmann locomotive.  Otherwise, the ShayFixer is more about repairing the brass Shays/Climaxes.  A search here from what I have seen only really deals with the trucks.  Not much mention of the gearbox and when I do see something, the answer was normally "sorry, we don't have that part any more, send us your old locomotive and we will trade for something new (assuming the loco was still under warrantee)" "or sorry for your bad luck".

Any possible help you can send my way?

Gearedenginefreak

Thermo,
I feel your pain. I had one that may have moved 25 feet. Mine has more than gears at issue. There were some electronics attached to the motor and the motor started smoking. And the electronics (capacitors maybe) got so hot I burned my fingers on it while troubleshooting why mine would not run. Pretty crappy that they dont have parts for a $300 locomotive. Mine was beyond the new warranty term as I tested it when I first received it, then shelved it while I did other projects. Then pulling it out again, a year later it did this failure.  Their old lifetime warranty was great. But now, with the one year, makes me question ever again shelling out that kind of money for something that the parts supply or replacement locomotive supply is nonexistent for. Mine still sits in a box completely disassembled as I hope to someday have a go at rebuilding it. I did manage to get a motor and gears from NWSL that will hopefully solve my issues.

VTBob

I too am in the same boat. I have been waiting for a part to come back in stock for both a 2truck & a 3truck climax. Both of my units need the same part this one here,

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_689&products_id=10184&zenid=9jhd91l7tq4kv59ulhnj87tjn2

But for several months now, it's been listed as out-of-stock. Does NWSL sell this part as a completed driveline, or just the seperate gears? I'm ok with installing a driveline, but I don't have the tools to install the gears.

Thanks,
bob
R. Montanye
Montanye Models, St. Albans, Vermont

Thermo

VTBob, the part you need is the same one I need.  When I talked to Bachmann a week ago, that part is never scheduled to be remade.  So, I wish you luck in trying to find one.  I am doing some looking around to see if I can find a gear made by someone else that can press fit on to the end of the shaft and hold up better.  I need the small gear.  I have seen some gears from Roundhouse that seemed like they may work, but it is one of those things that I would like to find a little more detail about them before shelling out the $10 for 6 of these gears that most likely would not have a use anywhere else.  But, it may have to come to that.  I may have to go to a few train shows and really scour the parts bins and see if by chance I can find something that would be even close.  Right now, I glued the gear back together, but there is a wider space tetween the gears in one spot and this is causing the locomotive to bind up. 

I know in the past with say the 4-8-4's by Bachmann, I could pull out the split gear and the gears for Athearn locomotives fit right into place and they seemed to hold up a lot better.  So, one can hope that there is something by Athearn that will work.  I have a few scrap locomotives sitting around, may have to do some dismantling.