News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Christmas at the Dundalk Historical Society

Started by bbmiroku, November 02, 2019, 12:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

Last year, I became part of the Dundalk Patapsco-Neck Historical Society Train Garden "builders and hostlers", which means I help put together the train garden and run the trains occasionally.

Almost immediately, I became head of the HO division on what is mostly an O-gauge pike.  The division basically operates a loop of track around a few buildings that represent some of the Bethlehem Steel plant in Sparrows Point (plenty of Google-feed here...).  This year I was given permission to enlarge it a bit more, to a full 4x8 spread.  So I did some track planning on AnyRail 6...

Last weekend at the train show in Timonium I was miraculously able to purchase all the pieces of track I needed.

This weekend, we're going to be disassembling some of the exhibits in the museum to make way for the garden.

Once I figure out images on this thing, I'll post some of the track plan.

Terry Toenges

That's neat. I look forward to seeing the pics.
Feel like a Mogul.

Ken Huck

bbmiroku

The buildings used were donated years ago, and I picked from the ones in best condition, trying to keep with the "the steel mill is our past" theme.  The track that was used for the HO section was a little bit of this and a little bit of that, brass, steel, and nickel-silver, from all different makes and models.  So I nixed that and over the past year have been steadily buying NS track to fit my plans.

Here's the plan for the mainline run, in 4' x 8'.  Bachmann Nickel-Silver EZTrack.

And one for the "exhibit", a take on the local steel mill.  Atlas Nickel Silver, just for separation.

The two tracks next to the blast furnace will continue alongside it and end in bumpers, as will the track going around the rolling mill.  I may elongate and curve the single track from the workshop if space allows, just for switching purposes.  And no, I did not 'lose' a track coming out of the workshop.  I decided to dead-end the track inside, put an unworking diesel in there and put some ties leading from the other end, as a ripped-up track.  The track in the building will be used for 'major repairs' to equipment.

bbmiroku

So... construction is finally taking place on the HO portion.
A couple of pictures before construction began, just for spatial awareness...
(I didn't bother to change my camera over from Daylight Savings Time.)

bbmiroku

Less than two hours later, and the main loop of track was put down, and there was even a little 'Golden Spike' ceremony.  Somehow, even the governor (Gov. Hogan in the gray suit ;) ) showed up...

bbmiroku

4 hours even later, and all the track for the inside was unpacked and connected.

Len

If you're not going to use cork roadbed, you might want to grab a pack of "carptenter's shims" at your local hardware store for the transitions from EZ-Track to regular track on the table top.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bbmiroku

So after only six hours, thanks to the track planning software, the entire railroad was unpackaged and laid out.  The next two to three hours was spent with testing the turnouts (manually) and the tracks.  The tracks are DC powered for simplicity.  The main track is one segment, and will operate only one train at a time.  The inside tracks are on another "circuit" (with plastic connectors on both rails), for operation by another train.  The inside track on the bottom side is a dead track (plastic connectors on both rails, both ends), and will store another train in case of an accident to the mainline.

During track testing (all the tracks work perfectly, as do the two donated engines), I realized that the inside track will need a longer 'neck' and had a spare 6" straight Atlas track.  Since I will only be storing one small car on the three stub-end tracks near the top, and the small US Steel loco will be on the inside, that should be enough.  And it was just the right length for me to be able to set up a small 2-track yard in the upper right, behind where the Rolling Mill will be.

More information and pics as it goes!

Thanks Len, I might do that.  In fact, I have some extra at home somewhere...  I think.  If not, less than $5 at Home Depot for a whole pack of smalls.

jonathan

Thanks for sharing this with us!  Looks like fun.  Looking forward to more.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

There was an old loco that lived in a shoe box? Seriously. It's looking great. I like it.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Anybody have other suggestions besides photobucket for free file hosting?  'Cuz the lag is getting ridiculous...

jonathan

I switched to "flickr" for photosharing.  Photobucket was getting out of control.  I've tried to login to photobucket a bunch.  They keep telling my I have too many photos.  When I login to start deleting photos, the site kicks me out before I can do anything.  Frustrating.

Regards,

Jonathan

bbmiroku

Got some photos on flickr now. the ones with the date of 16th were when I put the buildings up. The 25th were testing the wiring of lights and things.  28th was hiding the wires.  I came up with the idea of folding part of the tape over on itself so it wasn't sticky on a portion of it, then putting another piece of tape over that, creating a "speedbump" in the "road".
On the 29th of November, the final day before opening, I brought in some buildings of my own and filled out a bare section of the layout.  I also populated the area, putting three different "hidden" (read: naughty) scenes in my HO section.
On Opening Day, all went smoothly.  At least... until the end of the day.  One of the couplers 'malfunctioned', breaking the train.  Since I was creating a building to fill a space-filler, I didn't notice until I heard the sound of impact, barely audible over the loudness of the other 11 O-gauge trains.  I rushed over in time to see that the engine had bashed the caboose to one side of the tracks and the last loaded hopper to the other side.  So I came in early today and played a bit, setting up a permanent wrecksite.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185782297@N07/albums/72157712022521216