Balky e-unit on new NW2 switcher

Started by dwhite, November 06, 2019, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwhite

My brand new O gauge NW2 doesn't reliably cycle through the e-unit sequence.  At first it only would go forward.  I flipped the run/lock switch back and forth several times and it started working--intermittently.  It still gets hung up on forward sometimes or slips out of neutral into forward.  Is there some sort of break in phase with an electronic e-unit?!  It seems so unlikely.  Might this problem resolve itself?  Is there something else I could try or look at before I consider returning this engine?  I never experienced this difficulty with three earlier Williams by Bachmann engines.  

Update 11/27.  The e-unit is now cycling successfully.  In this instance, the train fairy has been kind to me!  The NW2 navigates my old 0-27 turnouts and curves allowing me to work sidings off my more generously built main line.  Just in time for my annual Treats and Trains party!

Hi dwhite,

Try an electrical contact cleaner on the selector switch. Make sure the cleaner is compatible with use on plastic. A few squirts of cleaner and movement of the switch, may cure the problem.

Hope this helps...671