News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Tender Loco connection

Started by krej, November 07, 2019, 06:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krej

I'm new here and fairly new to N.  Just received Bachmann 4-8-2 mountain, but don't understand the tender-loco connection.  2 sprung wires on the tender inside a plastic hoop and a pin with a slot on the loco.  the wires appear to touch if i put them both in the slot.  Thanks in advance,

Kevin

DaveGard

The wires on the tender drawbar go OUTSIDE the split peg on the loco. It is easier to slip them over if you turn the tender ~90 degrees relative to the loco... the pegs are a little narrower fore and aft, and can slip between the wires easier.

The wires in the drawbar pickup track power (from right and left rails) thru the split frame of the loco... the slot on the loco's drawbar "peg" is the split between the two sides of the frame... thus the two sides of the peg carry the different rail "polarities." it's a bit redundant, since the track power is also carried by wires from the loco to the tender.

krej

The wires are already outside the peg.  They are more or less aligned with the legs of the plastic hoop.  Are they installed wrong?  Or am I missing something?

krej

figured it out.  Your statement about the wires touching the outside of the peg led me there.  bent the wires inward until they were nearly touching.  thanks.