News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Cheap Battery Train-Set

Started by JoMc67, November 06, 2019, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoMc67

Hello,

I purchased a really cheap Large size Train Set from Wallyworld just to have it displayed under a X-Mas Tree.
Thou, I noticed it took 2x D Batteries, and decided what the heck and installed them (probably wont run it much at all). So, I did so, and the train moves really fast, lol.

So, the question...How can I make the train move more slowly ?

Joe

Flare

The easiest solution may be to combine a good battery and a dead battery to give it half the voltage.

More complicated solutions would be installing resistors or a rheostat, or even wiring one set of battery terminals together so only one battery is needed.

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe,

A good battery and a dead one has never worked well for me, but if you have some used batteries (say half worn out), that might work.  Unfortunately those cheap sets also don't often hold up very well. 

You could,  as Flare suggested, use one battery and just run a wire between the terminals in place of the other battery.
I feel Flare's idea to do this will have the best chance of more reliable operation.   

Might want to get a better train set with a speed control!

Good Luck!

Loco Bill

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

JoMc67

Thanks for the information, guys, and will try one of those two suggestions...

Yeah, I only got the train to display in front of my Christmas tree to put presents around it, etc. I originally had no intentions of running it, but figured since it has batteries I might try and run it a little.
I already have a nice HO train set that I use on the dining room table from Thanksgiving through Christmas.

Greg Elmassian

A string of a few 3 amp diodes in series with one motor lead is easy and cheap.
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com