News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Hand Car Repair Parts

Started by trainclb, November 08, 2019, 11:50:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainclb

Hopefully someone has a lead on where to go or an alternative to direct Bachmann parts to repair a hand car.

Sadly Bachmann direct has discontinued these cars and all the parts are mostly out of stock. I searched the forums and didn't see any related topics.

I need a new motor and a gear for the axle.

Anyone ever do any looking or modifications to a hand car to use a similar motor/gear set or anything to make it work again?

Really bummed that Bachmann is zero help in this department. I get that China can just halt production on an item, but then it stinks there is not ample repair parts in the pipe for the amount of items sold on the market. eBay is an option to buy a new one and gut the parts, but them I'm spending an arm and a leg for 2 parts, that were only ~25.00 on Bachmann's site.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

Greg Elmassian

Chris, unfortunately parts for G scale trains, across all manufactures is often an issue. The base issue seems to be that most parts only make sense to produce when a production run is done.

Add this to the vagaries of production quantities (marketing guesses), and it's a problem. (note there are things like couplers, wheels, etc that are in stock)

Also realize that a product is normally discontinued when out of stock, not at the last production run.

So, parts are almost always an issue, even for high volume expensive (read profitable) locos.

Your best advice is to try to find one for parts, but of course the parts you want to be good are the ones that failed on yours!  ::)

Good luck, Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com