Poll, Which 4-6-2 should Bachmann Industries Produce?

Started by Guilford Guy, December 20, 2007, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guilford Guy

Please Vote Here http://snappoll.com/poll/239991.php

Boston & Maine P2-b

Southern Railway PS-4

Baltimore & Ohio P7

New York Central K-11

Nickel Plate K-1

Alex

lanny

Any one of them as long as its a Harriman based Pacific  ;D

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Dusten Barefoot

I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

kevin2083

PS-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) ;D :) :) ;D ;D :) ;D 8)
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

SteamGene

BLI claims it will produce the P7.  You left out the prom queen - the C&O F-teen.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Mark Damien

G'Day,

I would love a swag of US pacifics. USRAs, P7, PS-4, SP Southwind, ATSF 3400, and others.

Many of the Pacifics wheelbase had Driver centres of between 6'6" to 7'.

When it's all scaled down, it really isn't that noticeable.

So if you had a running chassis with Driver centres of 6'9", you would have a good starting point for quite a few different pacifics and reduce some of the production costs with a shared running chassis.

The question to the buying public is, would you critically accept a loco with a 'total driver wheelbase' that may be up to 6" too long, or too short?

If it meant getting more pacifics, I would!
Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

Virginian

How about a PRR K-4?  That's much more in line with past manufacturer's thinking as to what is needed in the marketplace.
RETCH !
"What could have happened... did."

rogertra

Quote from: Virginian on December 20, 2007, 09:47:09 PM
How about a PRR K-4?  That's much more in line with past manufacturer's thinking as to what is needed in the marketplace.
RETCH !

No! Enough of PRR engines, or anything else that's easily identifiable as belonging to a particular road.

andrechapelon

Quote from: rogertra on December 20, 2007, 11:28:16 PM
Quote from: Virginian on December 20, 2007, 09:47:09 PM
RETCH !

No! Enough of PRR engines, or anything else that's easily identifiable as belonging to a particular road.

Well, that's kind of the problem. That kind of leaves out anything other than USRA engines as built to USRA plans (and not later copies).

The visual differences between steam locomotive built to the same design can be quite dramatic once time and the road's backshop did their work.

Compare a C&O J-2 to an N&W K-2 (especially after the K-2 was streamlined)

A Central of Georgia K 4-8-4 beat with the heart of a Southern Pacific GS-6, but looked radically different right out of the factory.

For that matter, check out the visual differences of the Van Sweringen Berks.

Chicago & Alton, UP and SP had heavy Harriman 4-6-2's built. They all ended up looking rather different.

It's kind of asking a bit of the manufacturers, although Bachmann did a nice job with the Spectrum 2-8-0.

Andre

japasha

Pacifics are handsome engines due to their proportions. While there were larger engines Pacifics were well thought of and liked by the crews. They fit branch line operations well after being bumped down from better assignments by newer locomotives though the SP commuter pool really used these engines all the way until the extreme end on steam.

WHile I like the Lima-built B&M Pacifics, the USRA based locomotives make a lot of sense.

Pacific Northern

My vote would be for the USRA Pacific engine in the Spectrum line. I would note that the new Standard Berkshire comes in a few variants, hence the USRA Pacific could also come with a few differences as well.
Pacific Northern

Woody Elmore

What is to decide? The Ps-4 wins hands down (although the Beano P-7 is really nice.)

Bowser makes a K-11 and there are a plethora of Pennsy K-4 engines. The old Mantua-TYco pacific was based on the Beano P-7 engines.

Bachmann might do well to make a Harriman engine - lots of SP and UP fans out there (as well as IC).

andrechapelon