Spectrum 1:20.3 box car trucks and bolster shatter just sitting on the shelf.

Started by bcochran, November 10, 2019, 09:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcochran

I have three Spectrum 1:20.3 box cars and one spectrum long caboose.  I don't have any track laid other than that I put together on the floor so I rarely run any G scale trains.  I plan to join a local club and have several Spectrum 1:20.3 4-4-0's and 2-6-0's.  So I am getting my equipment ready in case I have the chance to run trains.

I had one of the Spectrum 1:20.3 box cars sitting on the shelf with the caboose and one of three 4-4-0's.   Last year I took it down from the shelf and both trucks fell to pieces.  They are made of some metal that disintegrates.  I bought two replacement trucks from Bachmann parts web site last year and put the box car back on the shelf.

Tonight I took the car down from the shelf.  This time one of the bolsters broke into pieces. This car has never been in a train and never has moved an inch yet it falls apart sitting still!.

I have a replacement bolster but to take off the broken one it looks like I need to take the truss rods and break line off since they go through openings in the bolster.  Then I need to reverse the process.  I can see no way of taking off the rods and break line.

Has anyone done this and can tell me how to do it?

I love the looks of these cars but I am afraid they are useless. I broke off the stirrup steps a while ago.  I was replacing them when the bolster fell apart.

Also two of the 1:20.3 boxcars I bought on Ebay without trucks or couplers for a good price.  I got the trucks from Bachmann a while ago and was replacing broken stirrup steps but I don't know what couplers to put on the cars.  The coupler box looks like a Kadee box so I imagine I can use Kadee couplers.

Has anyone had any success in repairing these cars or should I just chalk it up to buying defective peoducts?

Thanks in advance.

the Bach-man

Dear BC,
Please call the service department.
we will replace the trucks.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

StanAmes

When Bachmann replaces a truck for the Murphy Roof cars they normally also provide a bolster.

It is not difficult to replace a bolster. 

Unscrew the 4 screws that screw the bolsters to the box car

Unscrew the couplers.

You should now be able to remove  the cars underframe.

for the end with the damaged bolster remove the screws at the end of the underframe and slide off the end piece and  the broken bolster.

now slide in the replacement bolster.  I have found that one hole for the various rods on some of them has some flash and that hole may require you to drill the hole completely through the bolster.

Replace the end piece and screw in the end piece you removed above.

Place the underframe back in the car ensure that the brake end lines up properly.

re screw the bolster back into the car and the couplers back on.

Hope that helps.

Stan

charon

Rob, I also had the trucks disintegrate on two of my Spectrum boxcars.  The Spectrum freight cars and caboose are, in my opinion, the most accurate and best looking of any scale.  Unfortunately, it appears the trucks are made from what's known as "pot metal".  I replaced the trucks with Bachmann Big Hauler boxcar trucks I happened to have extra. They work fine, just don't look as good.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

bcochran

Thank You,

I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had this problem.

StanAmes

Quote from: charon on November 16, 2019, 01:55:34 AM
Rob, I also had the trucks disintegrate on two of my Spectrum boxcars.  The Spectrum freight cars and caboose are, in my opinion, the most accurate and best looking of any scale.  Unfortunately, it appears the trucks are made from what's known as "pot metal".  I replaced the trucks with Bachmann Big Hauler boxcar trucks I happened to have extra. They work fine, just don't look as good.
Chuck

Chuck

Just to clarify, have you had a problem with any Spectrum freight car models other then the Murphy Roof Box cars?

I ask because I have a large number of Bachmann 1:20.3 cars and it is only one batch of Murphy Roof cars that I have ever had a problem with.  I have never has a broken truck or step on any of the other cars.

Stan

charon

Hi Stan;
Now that you mention it, yes it was my two Murphy roof boxcars.  As a precaution, I went ahead and also replaced the trucks on my spectrum caboose.  Are the trucks alright on the earlier boxcars and the caboose?
Thanks,
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

charon

Stan;
I forgot to mention that the corner steps were also breaking off, I think on the caboose too. I'm not sure as I got rid of the caboose and one of the boxcars.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

StanAmes

Quote from: charon on November 17, 2019, 12:09:03 AM
Hi Stan;
Now that you mention it, yes it was my two Murphy roof boxcars.  As a precaution, I went ahead and also replaced the trucks on my spectrum caboose.  Are the trucks alright on the earlier boxcars and the caboose?
Thanks,
Chuck

Chuck

The only cars I have ever had a problem with are some of the Murphy Roof boxcars.  For example, I had a tank car hit the floor last week and while several of the wheels were damaged the trucks are fine.  We are had on our cars and over time things do break but only the problem Murphy Roof cars have had issues.

As an aside if you still have your caboose trucks you removed I would be very interested in acquiring them.

Stan

charon

Stan,
If I still had them, you would be welcome to them, but they went with the guy that got the caboose and boxcar.
Thanks for your info.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line