News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

80 t 3-truck shay

Started by shaydriver, November 12, 2019, 05:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaydriver

Hi,
I have two of these nice locomotives, unfortunately they do not run well. One I think is the victim of
wheel gears not in mesh(think that is the word) it runs, but terribly noisy.

The other one is what I search help for, it runs good forward, but is noisy and will stop frequently when going backwards on the same length of track.
Ideas, someone ?  could it be a gear problem ?  if so, is there somewhere a disassembly guide ?

Also, the mesh problem is, of course, worth fixing......
any ideas are very welcome !

WoundedBear

The major problem with the 3 truck Shays was split pinion gears in the drive train.

Bachmann parts has updated sideframes. I am pretty sure NWSL doesn't have these gears any longer.

The noise should not be a problem. I have one that has "buzzed" since new.

Sid

WoundedBear

And just as I posted that, my mailman showed up with my order from Bachmann parts. I got 2 sets of sideframes to keep my Shays running a little longer. There are also some Climax gears in there and a couple of replacement pads for the track cleaning cars.

Sid

shaydriver

Thanks Sid,
I needed a little new spirit.. 
One of my locos actually had broken gears, just as it "should", and I installed NWSL gears. It runs after that, but, again, noisy. Rechecked late last night( it is early morning now here in Sweden) and on one one truck a bushing had come off, so the two gears has any mesh they feel for; hopefully you understand what I mean, not sure of correct vocabulary here. NWSL gears are not that easy to fit, but I will check them and lube a little; as you point out, a little noise is bearable as long as the loco runs smoothly(and doesn't eat it's gears out).
The other loco is another issue; it runs smoothly and quiet forward, but jerks and stops backwards. On second thought this has to be one of the first gears moving on the axle, or indeed the motor shaft ?
Thoughts on that ?
Will have to take a deep breath and try disassembling it all....
Regards
Peter

shaydriver

hi Sid,
another question crossed my mind as I reread your reply, cleaning pads. I would appreciate if you would expand that a little bit;  What's your experience with cleaningpads ?  any liquids involved ?
I ask because this is a real issue with my track, also have spots that will be hard to reach,so cleaning cars sound like a good idea.
thanks
Peter

WoundedBear

Peter........

I can't say as I have had troubles with gearing in an HO Shay other than the pinion drive gears. They never seemed prone to the main gearbox failures that the Climax models were known to suffer. Alignment and proper meshing is the most important thing with the Shay drives. If the pinions are too far apart, things are sloppy. Too close together on the shaft and you get binding.

The gears on the wheels are part of the wheel. The only variable is the pinion gears on the shafts. In my experience, any jerkiness has always been in the driveline gears.

As for the cleaning cars......I got a couple as a gift a few years ago. While they are no substitute for a thorough polishing of the rails, they are certainly useful for in between maintenance of my line.Most of the time when I am building models in my studio, I let a train run laps of the room. Toss in a couple cleaning cars, and it helps keep the major cleanings farther apart.I use the Bachmann ones, dry, no fluids of any type. You can clean the pads in your dishwasher or by simply scrubbing them on a piece of plywood. Over time, the friction does wear them thin, hence my reason for a couple of new pads.

Here's one of my Shays..............

Sid

shaydriver

Nice looking locomotive ! Something else than my ones, they are still in original somewhat shiny black. I guess, though, having had them for a few years I could try a careful paint; it is all the difference.
Will have to look at cleaning pads then, but can't run a loop, it's strictly point to point. Another issue is I have handlaid code 70, maybe not a perfect size but, as the saying goes "don't look a gifted horse in the mouth".
All the track cost me has been a lot of fun work, and some corrections here and there.
But I'm straying off the subject, thanks for sharing your experience, and that fine picture !
Hopefully I too can share something useful some day
Peter