News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Vintage Track

Started by JohnBWinter, November 15, 2019, 06:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBWinter

I have just rediscovered a Bachmann HO set, vintage early 1990s, and am about to set it up for the first time.  My tracks are both the silver kind and the copper colored kind.  Can I mix these two?  What's the difference?

WoundedBear

The "silver" track is most likely steel, if it's not magnetic then it is nickel silver.

The other will be brass track.

Go ahead and mix them with no trouble.

Sid

Trainman203

They will probably need a lot of cleaning though.  Both kinds of track were superseded by nickel silver with a lower maintenance factor.

JohnBWinter

Thanks much for your replies.  Great help.  My tracks (and train) have been sealed up in a box for the past 25 years, so  the track, to my novice eyes, looks pristine and not needing cleaning.

Thx again.

Maletrain

I advise you to clean the tops of the rails of your tracks before you try to use them, because the amount of surface oxidation that can interfere with train operation is not visible to the unaided eye.  Either steel or brass sitting around for 25 years, even in a sealed container, will almost certainly have a bit of oxidation on its surface.

Just get a piece of tightly woven cloth, such as a piece of an old sheet, put a little mineral spirits on it, and rub the tops of the rails with it.  Mineral spirits makes a better cleaning solution than something like alcohol, because it leaves the metal in a condition that is slower to oxidize again.  Keep cleaning the top surface of the rails until the cloth looks clean when it comes off the rails.

Then, clean the surfaces of the locomotive wheels what come in contact with the rails, so that they can pick up the electric current to turn the motor in your locos.

JohnBWinter

Hey Maletrain (and Trainman 203):  Thanks so much for the cleaning advice.  I followed your recommendation and did find a dull oxidation on the tracks.  They're clean now and my train has woken from it's 25-year hibernation with success!  And a new model railroader has been born...me...at age 72!  Who'd have guessed!