News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FOAMBOARD QUESTIONS

Started by train_guy2511, November 17, 2019, 02:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

train_guy2511

ty terry for your reply to my last post. you certainly are veryyy helpful....much appreciated:) as mentioned i can not get to home depot due to disability. even though foamboard is light, 4 by 8 ft is bigg size. even with vehicle transport, would have to cut board in half  i probably will purchase some board off the internet, but board has reflective film, terry mentioned its lil hard to poke trees thru film, but i honestly dont think it would be a that much of a struggle. am i right or wrong? film would be covered eventually with static grass etc, therefore relective film would not be seen. i will have to go this route for purchasing the board, unfortuantely all the foamboard i have seen are available but for local pickup. instead of gluing pieces of board together by the sides, could i use some magnets to attach the pieces together? using magnets, also makes it easier if i need to transport layout, or put in storage. as mentioned about the board that has the film laminated  i have found a seller online, but he is selling a total of 5 boards but 2 by 4 ft, but i want to add 3 more boards to blow it out to 4 by 8 feet. any help to my questions would be veryyy much appreciated, i can then get over this hurdle an start to ROLL!!!!

Terry Toenges

What sort of base are you using? Are you using a piece of plywood as a base to lay the foam sheets on or what will you be laying the foam on? How thick is the foam you are ordering?
Even if you use magnets, how will you attach the magnets to the foam? Magnets sound like a good idea to keep the sheets together if you don't want to fasten them down but you still need some sort of base. I guess if you got the magnets to stick to the foam. Are you talking about magnets on the ends of the foam sections? If you had them underneath on the ends, you could pieces of metal bar to sit the sections on. That would keep them together.
I'm trying to get a better idea of just what you are trying to do.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

A lot of shipping involves styrofoam sheets in various sizes and thickness.  The Dear Lady is always ordering this or that from wherever so we are always getting sheets and blocks of stuff that is of high scenic utility value.  Unfortunately I model a hill-free flatland region so I have little use for them and dispose of them, but it occurred to me that they had potential cost-free scenic value.

Something to remember is that these foam products have varying flammability ratings.  A small residential fire extinguisher is a recommended adjunct in any layout room.

Terry Toenges

Much of that shipping foam is of the "bead board" variety and it is best to stay away from that. That is, unless you want to be cleaning up those little round white beads that get everywhere every time you cut it.
Feel like a Mogul.