News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

3 rail

Started by bwreno, December 18, 2007, 11:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwreno

Hi,
My brother-in-law was given a older 'K-Line' set (O-27).  It is missing track.  The engine has a center electrical pickup.  So, it is 3 rail.  Are all three rail track the same--Lionel, O-27, American Flyer, Mikes,?  Or do we need to look for a certain type or brand of track??  He wants to buy used.

Thanx,  bob

japasha

Bob,

Almost all three rail iscompatible for mixing and matching rolling stock of an American prototype. The Williams section of the site is for those inquiries.

The track can be by manufacturer. Lionel makes Fastrack, MTH has Real track. Atlas has their own version. Those do not mate with other than their own type.  Any of the tubular track should interchange  and mate.

glennk28

If you were close enough I'd give yoiu a box full--I'm in far north Calif.  gj

the Bach-man

Dear Bob,
The only compatibility issues with three rail track, not unlike HO or N Scale track with roadbed, is connecting with other brands. Once the track is laid, the trains will all run happily along.
Merry Christmas!
the Bach-man

jsmvmd

Dear Bob,

This is from memory, but I think the Atlas track catalog lists connectors to meld different O gauge track from various manufacturers.  It could be MTH, Lionel and Gargraves to Atlas, I believe.  The connectors adjust for the various rail heights among manufacturers.  I saw this a few years ago, but do not have that catalog in which I saw it.  Unfortunately I could not navigate the cumbersome Atlas online catalog to find it.  (Kudos to Bachmann for the ease in which they have constructed their web site!).

Does anyone have experience with these connectors?

I becha TOC has used this stuff!

Best Wishes & Merry Christmas!

bwreno

Hi, 

Thank you Glennk28 for your surplus track.  It will be appreciated by a 9 year old.

bob

glennk28

Yes--a "Xerox-paper" box full of track started on its way today--using the "Friends' Express" system to ultimately get it there--the track is old, and some is rusty, but it will keep that 9-year-old occupied for quite a while.  gj