News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine won't move

Started by mwchoochoo, November 29, 2019, 12:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwchoochoo

Hi,
I inherited an old Bachmann train set and am having trouble with the engine.  I've tried two different transformers - the light on the engine will light up and there is some electric buzz, but the wheels won't turn.  I wiped the surface of the track and wheels with an alcohol wipe.  I'm thinking the gears have seized,but i suppose it could be electrical as well - is there anything else i can try?

Flare

What controller(s) are you using?

If the motor is 'buzzing' and the headlight is illuminated, it's possible that you connected the rails to the accessory terminals instead of the track outputs.

You can try disconnecting the power supply from the track and put a 9 volt battery on the rails.  (Or touch it directly to the wheels)  That's how I test locomotives.

If the motor or gears are seized, Bachmann still makes lubricants for locomotives, you can open it up and try replacing out the old stuff.

mwchoochoo

Thanks for the tip on using a 9v battery, engine works just fine.  Which means its my controller or the track (or me).  I'll have to check on accessory vs track outputs, they aren't marked on the controller. 

Gearedenginefreak

There should be some kind of marking on controller. It might just say a/c and d/c. D/c is what you want for track.

mwchoochoo

Yep, you had it right - was connected to the wrong terminal.  Thanks everyone for chiming in.