News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Paul Scoles

Started by Terry Toenges, November 30, 2019, 12:10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Here's an interesting story. I'm sure many of you are familiar with Paul Scoles'  Sn3 Pelican Bay & Railway Navigation Company layout. It was featured in a number of magazines. He also wrote a lot of Model Railroading articles. I knew of his layout and some of the articles. He passed away in 2014.
http://mrr.trains.com/news-reviews/new-products/2014/05/in-memoriam-model-railroad-author-paul-scoles
What I didn't realize was that he was the same Paul Scoles I had met many years ago in the late 80's. Gen. William Westmoreland came to St. Louis back then and six of us St. Louis Vietnam vets got to have lunch with him. With "Westy" were his former aide Gen. Jack Klingenhagen and a guy named Paul Scoles. Paul was a Vietnam Vet and was putting together a documentary called "Vietnam: Call To Duty". Part of the video was to feature an interview with Westy. Over lunch, we talked with Westy, Jack, and Paul about the war.
Little did I know that Model Railroader Paul of recent years was the same Vietnam Vet Paul that I had met back then. I wasn't doing model railroading back then. If I had been, I might have known of his model railroad endeavors.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I found a pic of Paul. Paul on the left, Gen. Westmoreland, 3 of my friends, me (2nd from right) and another friend.
Feel like a Mogul.