News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 7080 & 7082

Started by Dittohead2, November 30, 2019, 02:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dittohead2

From the research I have done, I know that the Bachmann 7080 & 7082 were not real locomotives.  However, I would like to get an approximate date it would have been built, and when it would have been in use.  I am hoping someone can take a look at it and give me a best guess as to the era this locomotive would have come from.

Thank you

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images2/1/1216/02/ho-scale-model-railroad-train_1_0e92df5f5d60ca0af50c6e3cff42de0a.jpg

https://www.trainworld.com/upload/iblock/0cf/51815.jpg

Len

The ALCO 2-6-0 Moguls were real locos, but the paint schemes/numbers applied by Bachmann may not necessarily be correct. Date wise, they could have been built anywhere from 1880 - 1925. Many were still running into the late 1950's, early 1960's.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

RAM

Greenbay & Western Alco 2-6-0s were built 1907-1924

Trainman203

The Southern never had a mogul anything like the Bachmann HO mogul.  It is definitely not a Southern Railway prototype. 

The prototype was built for the Green Bay and Western in the mid 1920's, therefore it is a very modern steam locomotive, built at a time when very few small steam engines were being built anymore.  By that time, the Southern was buying locomotives like the Ps4 Pacifics and other larger USRA derived engines. 

In fact, these were the last steam engines bought by the Southern.  Southern never bought anything with a four wheel trailing truck, i.e. no "super power" engines.  This meant that by the time the depression and then WW ll ended, Southern's steam engines were shot, and that is a big reason they dieselized early, especially on the NO&NE (1948) where bridge restrictions required the use of the older, most worn engines.

Smaller Southern Railway engines like moguls and ten wheelers were a good bit older than the 1920's, many acquired from the patchwork of shorter lines that became the Southern as we knew it.  While not matches, in general they more belonged to the vintage represented by Bachmann's ten wheelers.

The paint  job on the Southern Rwy Bachmann mogul isn't correct either.  They got it more or less right on the black  4-6-0, the black 2-8-0, the 2-10-2, and the 4501 2-8-2, although the real 4501 predates USRA designs by several years.