Bachmann HO 57904 Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, Union Pacific #730 (DCC Sound Val

Started by Searsport, December 02, 2019, 11:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Searsport

Hi, is the back of the tender of Bachmann HO 57904 Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, Union Pacific #730 (DCC Sound Value) lettered for the OWR&N, please?

Thanks,
Bill.

Searsport

Talking to myself here, but I found one on ebay where the seller had taken his own photos rather than using the Bachmann stock photo, and the tender back is indeed lettered OWR&N. So that matches the sound value low-boiler 4-6-0, and the earlier Spectrum UP low boiler 4-6-0s. On the 2-8-0s, I had noticed that the tender shells in the parts store for UP 616 & 617 are both lettered for the OWR&N, but #730 is a long way from 617, so it might have been from somewhere else.

Best Regards,
Bill.

Searsport

A final Bachmann UP - OWR&N loco note for posterity. I had been looking to choose a Baldwin 2-8-0 as companion for my Spectrum 84903 Baldwin low boiler 4-6-0, UP - OWR&N #1585. I had established that the post-Spectrum "Sound Value" BAC 57904 Baldwin 2-8-0 Consolidation, Union Pacific #730 is indeed lettered for the OWR&N, and was about to take advantage of the then current MB Klein 10% off Bachmann offer - but I didn't! Why not? I saw on ebay.fr Spectrum 83607 2-8-0 UP 618, which is also a UP - OWR&N loco, but comes with the Vanderbilt medium coal tender!! This looks splendid, and provides a very pleasing contrast to all the Bachmann 2-8-0s with USRA medium coal tender so I had to make that choice. There is one disappointment - whilst the loco cab is lettered for the OWR&N (in very small print), the tender rear is not - it is just lettered UP 618. However, I know the loco is OWR&N even if I can't read it without a magnifying glass!! Also the decoder is only 28 speed steps and the tender looks tricky to open and uncertain which higher spec decoders (for good slow-speed switching) it might accommodate, but it looks great sitting on the track next to #1585.

So, to summarise, anyone looking for a Baldwin 2-8-0 for their OWR&N, if you want a distinctive looking loco do a search for Spectrum 83607, Baldwin 2-8-0 UP OWR&N #618 with Vanderbilt medium coal tender, DCC Equipped. BTW #618 seems to have been the last of a class of 71 locos built by Balwin in batches for the Oregon Short Line between 1904-7, with #618 delivered in July 1907 (and 4 more delivered by ALCo in 1908 for a class total of 75) (data culled from locobase).

Best Regards,
Bill.