News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

0-6-0 won’t smoke?

Started by Jrasche2003, December 03, 2019, 05:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrasche2003

Hello

Just purchased a Bachmann 0-6-0 Soo Lne with smoke.  I've been running it for quite some time after adding the smoke oil and I'm getting nothing.   Am I doing something wrong?  I was so excited about this engine, not smoking is a bit of a let down.

jonathan

The smoke units on these can be finicky.  Let's assume for the moment yours is not broken.

Don't put more than 4 drops of fluid.  If you overfill the reservoir, the coil can't produce enough heat to create smoke.

These locos have to be running pretty fast to get enough voltage to make heat to create smoke.  Although, the DCC equipped 0-6-0s have an easier time making smoke.

I have several of these locos. I took the smoke units out and filled the space with weight.  Smoke units are messy. The deposits get on your loco, cars, track, and so on. 

If you manage to get yours to work, you'll also melt the smoke stack over time. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Many model railroaders consider the smoke to look unrealistic, since physics can't be scaled down.  Plus, over time, model railroad smoke coalesces into an oily film over everything nearby.

Model railroader no. 1:  "does your engine have a smoke unit?"  MR #2: "No."

😱🔥💥😂😂😂😂😂

Jrasche2003

Quote from: jonathan on December 04, 2019, 07:04:34 AM
The smoke units on these can be finicky.  Let's assume for the moment yours is not broken.

Don't put more than 4 drops of fluid.  If you overfill the reservoir, the coil can't produce enough heat to create smoke.

These locos have to be running pretty fast to get enough voltage to make heat to create smoke.  Although, the DCC equipped 0-6-0s have an easier time making smoke.

I have several of these locos. I took the smoke units out and filled the space with weight.  Smoke units are messy. The deposits get on your loco, cars, track, and so on. 

If you manage to get yours to work, you'll also melt the smoke stack over time. 

Regards,

Jonathan

Well, unfortunately I'm not doing a layout at this time. Just have the ring round the tree.   If I only run this engine at low will I still risk the stack melting? 

bbmiroku

No.  But you also won't be able to produce smoke.  After putting smoke juice in my 0-6-0, I have to run it around at almost full speed for a bit of time before I hear a slight pop and a shot of smoke shoots up from the chimney.  First sign that the coil is heating properly.  Then most of the smoke escapes from under the plastic shell instead of through the stack.
Now in reverse, the speed is a bit lower to smoke, and it actually escapes through the smoke stack instead of the underbody.

Honestly though, you're better off taking the little unit out.  More power will be available for your motor as well.

Joe323

Depending on the model you may not have to remove the smoke unit there is an on/off switch in the cab.