News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Christmas layout 2019

Started by Terry Toenges, December 06, 2019, 09:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I'm getting kind of a late start on this year's Christmas layout. Still have a couple track adjustments to make. I just received my DCC sound equipped Thomas from the guy who did the work  on it.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

What happened to the  other layout?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I didn't start it yet. I didn't want to start on it until after Christmas so I could do another Christmas layout.
I gave away a bunch of the track I had to my Grandson so he could set it up for my Great Grandson to have some trains.  I gave him my Thomas and Clarabel and Annie to go with it. It was DC. I got the DCC Thomas no for the Christmas layout and I now have everything DCC except for the trolley. I had to buy some more new track to replace what I gave away. 
When I start the other one I have to add some extension pieces, so I have to get more foam. I need like 2"- 4" wider so that's 8'  of 2 - 4 wide piece. I don't have a truck nor do any of my kids that live nearby so I have to find someone to haul a big piece for me. I'll have to check and what sizes Menard's has. I think they have smaller than 4 x 8 but I hoping to add one long piece in back. Then I have to add an angled piece in front where the wing sticks out.
I also just stepped away from it for a while because I'm a not  living and breathing trains 24/7 guy.
I have to get  back to finishing the turntable. The engine shed took me a while so I needed a break. I wanted to have the shed and the turntable done before I started laying track. I have a three curved trestle type bridges to build also. One for an 18" curve and two for 15" curves. It was four but I did some rearranging and can use a straight bridge I had already built in place of where i had a curve.
Sometimes, it's just hard to keep these old bones motivated. I get a lot pleasure just watching the progress on some of the layouts that others are building.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I guess it's what you would call a quandary.
I want to do the layout that I designed on Anyrail. I also like doing my Christmas layouts every year and usually try to do something different each year.
If I build the layout I want to build, I won't be able to do my Christmas layouts. I wouldn't have room for the animated stuff or the tree(s) on the layout.  My wife always wants me to leave the Christmas ones up  throughout the year.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

First test run of the Christmas trains. I'm just using my E-Z Command to run it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gOpzpbXPw
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Thomas and his friends had to be shipped over to the U. S. from England. They were loaded on a ship for the trip across the Atlantic Ocean. Once they arrived in New Jersey, they had to be transferred to flat cars for the trip by train to Park Hills. Fortunately, they arrived before Christmas. Here they are being off loaded from the flat cars onto Terry's Christmas layout.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

In previous years, I've used snow blankets and felt type material to cover the board and ended up spending a lot of time picking little bits of white cotton stuff out of the train axles. This year, I just bought a cheap white sheet to cover it. I cut it down and stapled it around the edges. It will save me a lot of cotton picking headaches after Christmas is over.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Terry Toenges

I'm getting there little by little. Here the trains and trolley are running. I have all the track insulated now. The first part is without sound and the second is with the sound on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCd69Kgm75w&feature=youtu.be
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The layout is just about finished. I added a little extra to the steam powered reindeer.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Well if that doesn't put you in the Christmas Spirit, nothing will!

Great!

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Thanks Jonathan. I found some cheap reindeer ornaments and cut the top of their heads off. When I trimmed them down, there was just enough room between the headlight and the stack to wedge the antlers in there. On the Mogul, it is wedged between the light platform and wrap-around railing. This way they aren't permanent on the locos.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Finally finished. I don't have the trolley on there yet. I'll switch Thomas and friends in there when the young 'uns are here. It's not as elaborate as in some years past.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Looks good! I think the young ones will get a kick out of the elves catching a ride.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

charon

Looks great, Terry;
You can run three trains continuously plus the trolley!
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line