Still working on my Lye, Stihl & Djheet layout.......

Started by WoundedBear, December 09, 2019, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

Some progress pics. Been a long time since I have posted anything new, but that doesn't mean my hands haven't been busy.

This is Chillery's Cafe kit by Banta Modelworks.

This is an old Mountains in Minutes, foam casting that I rescued from a now closed shop. Every layout needs a cat house  ;D

This is a background kit from Model-Tech Studios...........detailing the siding took forever.

And I managed to get a Tichy Steam crane built. I'll show ya a couple pictures, but also give you the link to the album that lays the build out from start to finish. If anyone has ever been tempted to try one, but a little afraid of it, maybe this album can allay some anxiety you may encounter. It is not a simple kit, but it fits well.

Ask Jonathan......I see he has built one. I need to get my tender car finished now.

Here's the parts layout..........

Link to album............ https://public.fotki.com/WoundedBear/scale-model-railroading/tichy-120-ton-steam/

Enjoy......I'll post more pics if I find them.

Sid

Ken Huck

Looking good Sid.  I'm interested in getting some 'backdrop' flats and the Model-Tech Studios looks nice.
The Tichy Train Group cranes are really nice kits too.  I've built two already along with their boom-cars.
One set I sold with one of my old layouts and the other I still have.  You may have seen it sitting on a
siding in one of my recent pictures.  The ones I built were molded in black plastic though and the only painting
had to do was to give them a coat of dul-coat.  The only warning is to glue the boom on in a depressed position. 
Otherwise, you may have difficulty getting it to pass beneath power lines.  Don't ask me how I know.

Looking forward to more pics...

Ken

WoundedBear

Thanks Ken. On my crane, the boom is re-positionable, once I slide the cab back to access a winding drum behind the boiler.

Sid

jonathan

Awesome as always, Sid!

You have a knack for breathing life into your models. Or is it the lighting?  ;D

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

Nice stuff as always.  I have one of those Tichy steam crane kits and am intimidated by it, will probably never build it.

jonathan

Tichy kits can seem intimidating at first.  They have A LOT of parts.  However, their instructions are well thought out... try some craftsman kits that have instructions that are photo copies of photocopies... you spend most of your time guessing.

One performs a series of sub-assemblies.  The parts fit very well.  Worst part of the crane model was threading the pulley system.  I ended up using silk thread, instead of what was in the box.  Just looked a little neater to me.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Ship rigging cord works well for cranes and derricks. I like the cord from Model Shipways, even the smallest size has a 'lay' that looks like wire rope when used in those applications.
https://modelexpo-online.com/Rigging

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

bapguy

WoundedBear

With Ken and Jonathan posting recent pictures, I thought it was time I got off my keester and posted some new shots also.

First up is some scenery work along a raised section of track. I liked the rock retaining wall ideas I have seen on other layouts and decided to try one. The cut rock is a piece from Chooch Industries. Once these foam castings are mounted on a semi-rigid backing they are quite easy to work with. I mounted mine to a piece of 1/16th plexi-glass. The rest is pink foam and Plaster of Paris.

The area I chose..............

The basic mock up with foam...........

Painting the rock wall.......I used Vallejo paints and a small brush.

Adding plaster castings and filling in the gaps. The pink turns white as it dries.

First layers of ground cover and color...........

Final result with buildings in place..............

Sid

WoundedBear

Built a small lake up near the two mines................

A couple of cabins in the woods...............

I now have a pair of Banta section houses built. These kits are now out of production.

Sid

WoundedBear

What else is there? I know I have a ton of photos to get through, lol. I need to download off the phone more often.

I grabbed a Kanamodel (also out of business now) Canadian Pacific 3-car Stockyard off the shelf, some Walthers cattle and two sets of Bachmann cows and came up with this.

You can check out the whole album here.......... https://public.fotki.com/WoundedBear/scale-model-railroading/canadian-pacific-3-/

Enjoy!

Sid

jonathan

Stupendous as always, Sid!

I'm particularly jealous of your rocky outcroppings. I haven't had much luck with that technique.

I'll fly right over for some lessons after work!  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Jonathan.......any time buddy. I'll have coffee on lol.

Sid

Terry Toenges

Wow! The only thing missing in the cow pen is...Well... Never mind...
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

You noticed that too, eh Terry? I'm working on it. Thick white glue colored with acrylic paint might work.

Sid