Still working on my Lye, Stihl & Djheet layout.......

Started by WoundedBear, December 09, 2019, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoundedBear

I got your email Terry. Thanks but no thanks. I never pay more than about 10 bucks a kit for old Muir, and the cost of shipping them to Canada is prohibitive.

Go ahead and ebay the stuff.

Sid

Terry Toenges

Ok. I just thought I'd offer them to you first. This is what I have. I forgot about you being in Canada.
Muir Ponderosa Ranch House Model 108
Muir Ponderosa Bunk House Model 115
Muir Ponderosa Barn Model 110
Muir Ponderosa Cattle Weighing and Loading Pens Model 109
2 Muir Donner Pass Snow Sheds Model 048
2 Micro Engineering Timber Tunnel Linings ME-500
Speedcraft Pacific Railway 3 Stall Roundhouse #1009
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

Any luck selling your kits Terry?

A few more updates from my layout. Lots of build time since we got nothing else to do.

I had this old Roundhouse Lima Business car kit. I put it together, added some KaDee trucks and couplers and some figures and thought it was cool. Then I wanted a whole sales train for Lima Locomotive.

I used an old Mantua combine and a junk flatcar to make the other two cars. Home made decals and signs. The load is leftover junk parts from Bachmann HO Shays that I have repaired over the years. I crated them, put pallets under some and lashed them all down with heavy rope.

End result is a three car train with sales offices, quarters, shop/storage and a flatcar for large parts.

Here's Honest Al trying his best to close a deal before he gets dragged out of the yard.......

WoundedBear

And I was running low on housing in the 'hood, so I built this little Laser Art kit called The LaSalle House. I think it's a Sears Catalog house from the 1920s.

This was a fun little 2 weeks build. No real problems, just a nice enjoyable build.

Enjoy! More soon.

Sid

WoundedBear

Soon.....lol.....as soon as I get done this little sidetrack project.  ;D

Sid

Trainman203

I'm amazed at how anyone can paint HO scale figures.

Ken Huck

Sid, love that train of train parts !  Like a commodity train....
That's really some nice detail work.  I still have my first
Roundhouse Shay kit I built back in the early 80's.  For the first year and a half of my 'railroading' that
was my only motive power.  Then I got married and my wife bought me a Mantua Mikado for our first
Christmas together...I was on board ever since.

And, as they say, the rest is history.

Thanks for putting all the pics and keep them coming...

Ken

Terry Toenges

I agree with the figures. Great job. I could not have done so well with those little people. I love the rest of the stuff too.
I sold my buildings last week. I got $145 for this lot of them.
Muir Models Inc. - Ponderosa Ranch House Model - #108
Muir Models Inc. - Ponderosa Bunk House Model - #115
Muir Models Inc. - Ponderosa Barn -Model - #110
Muir Models Inc. - Ponderosa Cattle Weighing and Loading Pens Model - #109
Muir Models Inc. - Donner Pass Snow Sheds - #048 (Two of them)
Micro Engineering - Timber Tunnel Linings - #ME-500 (Two of them)
Speedcraft  - Pacific Railway 3 Stall Roundhouse - #1009
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Wow! Running out of superlatives to express the wonder!

I have 3 or 4 of those old shay passenger car kits. Got em as a kid. Lack the imagination to do something cool with them. Hats off, sir!

Oh. The house is really amazing too.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

Quote from: Trainman203 on May 06, 2020, 04:38:46 PM
I'm amazed at how anyone can paint HO scale figures.

Lol....thanks. Anything the Chinamen can do, I can do.

Except make a good chop suey ;D

Sid

WoundedBear

Quote from: jonathan on May 06, 2020, 05:23:55 PM
Wow! Running out of superlatives to express the wonder!

I have 3 or 4 of those old shay passenger car kits. Got em as a kid. Lack the imagination to do something cool with them. Hats off, sir!

Oh. The house is really amazing too.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

Thanks Jon....and Ken and the rest of you guys. Even Rich....I know you're looking Rich lolol.

Jon.....I still have one of the business cars stashed. I only found out about the Roundhouse Lima baggage car a little while ago. That's where the idea of the whole service train came from. The Mantua combine was just laying around and the flat car was a 50 footer that I hacked a section out of the center. Using up the junk. For all it will get run, I didn't even get rid of the talgo trucks on the combine lol.

Sid

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

WoundedBear

Well.......another month and a half of this Chinese Virus BS has resulted in a lot of modeling bench time.

I got the crazy S'Cool Bus completed. Full build album link here if anyone is interested. https://public.fotki.com/WoundedBear/scale-automotive-mo/scool-bus/

I got number 5 of a set of caricature race cars done. I have been 18 years in putting this set together and have one more model to go.

Now....back to the trains.

More housing. Due to my auto modelling purchases, I was rewarded one free Polar Lights kit. All those caricature cars were Polar Lights brand too. I chose the "House on the Hill". The complete build album and my other Victorian homes are here....... https://public.fotki.com/WoundedBear/scale-model-railroading/ourhousekit/

This is a re-issue of the Bates Mansion from the Psycho movie, but unlicensed and without the pre-printed acetate windows and the LED kit. Nice clean castings with no flash, and an absolute joy to assemble. These old Victorian homes fit right into my time period.

Lots of wall sections. The home has a really cool floorplan with the front tower and everything.

It comes with a shallow base to set the completed house into along with a shallow staircase. I chose to mount the base on a piece of 1.5" foam and use the taller staircase to really make it a house on a HILL.

without the kit window sheet I was forced to design my own. I photo-copied the walls sections before I took them off the sprues, and with coloured pencils and Sharpie markers, made some window coverings. Cut up Bounce sheets make wonderful lace sheers to back the curtains and give a frosting effect to the glass. I don't really want people seeing a whole bare interior, but I want to light the house up. I used self stick LEDs with integral resistors.

Couldn't really bring myself to build it as the run down haunted Bates place. I cleaned her up and landscaped the yard. It sits across the tracks from the local cat house. Still needs some powders to settle the color down a tad on both these models........being beside the tracks they would have a little bit of grime on them.

Also in the neighborhood is this Design Preservation "Our House" kit that I built years ago. I like the weathering on this one and need to replicate this level on the other 2.

WoundedBear

Anyone ever use these Background prints from Walthers? I had found a couple of packages years ago and finally found a use for them. I cut them out, mounted them on heavier card stock, and mounted it all to some half inch foam. The chimneys and other thin vertical ares get reinforced with strip wood.

Some foam glued to a strip of my fascia material.

The flats got mounted to the foam and everything trimmed back to the edges. A quick coat of burnt umber/black mix gets rid of the pink.

You'll notice a bare spot between two of the flats. I was thinking some bushes or a tall fence to go in there. I got digging through my box labelled "structure scraps". Jonathan should recognize the wall section. Its an extra from the brick engine house we both have on our layouts. I found the plastic lean-to, it will go against the other end to cover the printed barrels. Any kind of shallow relief adds to these flat buildings.

Some strip wood to define and hide the edges of the roof.

After a decal and some window black out, I ended up with a little business that fit just perfectly into the spot. This couldn't have worked out better if I planned it. Discovering these kind of "happy accidents" makes modeling enjoyable for me.

The lean-to is far left, i will put a compressed gas storage tank outside the next business and a little sidewalk in front of the sign painter's place. You can also see the pillar crane that came with the engine house in place at the right of the boiler works door. A little dirt and greens, and this can get blended in as I complete the residential hill and small industrial area.

I actually wound up with a whole new little town with a whistle stop and water tank. I am feverishly working on this area now. I am trying to build the hill sides to be removable for access. Now I need to name an unplanned town on my layout lol. ;D