Still working on my Lye, Stihl & Djheet layout.......

Started by WoundedBear, December 09, 2019, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Are the Cars 1/24? I love the school bus. The Stone Cook and Woods and Montgomery Willys(es) sure bring back memories of days long ago. When I was young, I always liked the Anglias, too. If I could have ever afforded to have a gasser back then, it probably would have been an Anglia.
Your buildings are looking great too.
A few kit bashes from my teenage years.

Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

Thanks Terry. The bus is 24th scale, but the caricature cars are smaller....more in the 32nd range.

Sid

J3a-614

Wounded Bear, you might be interested in seeing some other aspects of your "House on the Hill," a/k/a the Bates Mansion.  

In other words, it's had a life beyond the famous film in which it first appeared.

And of course, your modeling looks great!!

http://www.retroweb.com/universal_psycho.html

jonathan

Sid,

Just when I thought I was the only one clever enough to keep a box of unused structure parts...

;)

That is a great project!  You have inspired me.  I was trying to contemplate what to do with my backdrop when the time comes.  Now I have an idea to steal.  Thanks for that.

I think that stone staircase is the best part of the house on the hill.  Looks like you really took your time to get that right. Great stuff.

I was never really a model car guy.  I did WWII planes--plastic and balsa.  Loved the smell of the dope and wood cement. Still not right in the head from that stuff.

Thanks for sharing... can never get enough of your pics.

Regards,

Jonathan

Len

Sid - I've done something similar with those Walthers "Instant Buildings" backdrop prints. Like you, I cut them up and mounted the pieces on foam core board or heavy cardstock to give them some depth. In a few cases I added DPM wall pieces to increase the depth of the background buildings. If I ever manage to get my layout out of the boxes it's in, I'll post some pics.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

Quote from: J3a-614 on June 27, 2020, 12:01:39 AM
Wounded Bear, you might be interested in seeing some other aspects of your "House on the Hill," a/k/a the Bates Mansion.  

In other words, it's had a life beyond the famous film in which it first appeared.

And of course, your modeling looks great!!

http://www.retroweb.com/universal_psycho.html

Fascinating! Thank you for the link.

Sid

WoundedBear

I was talking about lift-out access sections earlier. This new town has a curve of track running underneath it. There is room to reach from under the layout, but with the two new hips, I don't go under the layout so much anymore. At least I try not to. Little access areas are easier to work with, although they take a little thought to design.

Here are two that will go under this new area that I have got roughed in as of this morning. Some hot knife shaping, add a few rock castings, more Chooch stone areas and maybe just some foam carving itself. Here are the sections removed, then set back into place.

These last two photos are a section of hillside that has been built for a few years. First picture is it in place and the second is a shot of it removed.

Sid

WoundedBear

Oh......and speaking of lift out areas....in that last photo, the three house on the right on the hill.....that whole piece, hill, yards, road, everything, just sits there against the upper edge of the plywood. Some creative sculpting hides all the seams and edges from view.

Sid

Ken Huck

Sid, that third picture down really gives an overall 'blend' of the backdrop.  I know you didn't use any forced perspective,
but with the thin false front buildings, and tapering distant landscape painted backdrop, it just looks like everything
belongs exactly where it is.  Nice job !

Thanks for the pics.

Ken

WoundedBear

Well............a couple more weeks have gone by. I got some more progress made on that back corner and rockwall. Not as much as I would have liked to.....kind of got side tracked by cars again. It's a sickness :-[

So back to train pictures..........added some plaster castings and some plaster to the foam. Gave it all a wash of earth tones and black> it aint bad for a base. Needs greenery in the nooks and crannies. It lifts out just as planned. It wont be an everyday thing, but if ever have to get in there, it won't take destroying a large chunk of scenery to do it.

The rock walls are Chooch brand foam sections mounted on 3/16ths foam board.

WoundedBear

The basic layout of the little town area is settled on and I trace aroound the bases then start laying in "fill". I like to use Scenic Express' Fusion Fiber for my ground cover base. I tint it with acrylic paints and top with Woodland's and other scenic materials including real dirt. Gator foam provides a smooth transition between bases and the Fusion Fiber smooths it all out. Way less mess than freakin' plaster. A tenth of the weight too, once it dries. and you get days of working time. Want longer? Mist with water. This stuff is great!

WoundedBear

Also ended up with a small little industrial area out of this. I had a set of Woodland welders that I used right outta the box. I mounted them on a small scrap of plexiglass and set that into the Fusion Fiber ground base between the building and the water tank. I drilled .012" holes to stick the welding hoses into.

More to come soon. Enjoy!

Sid

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Just keeps getting better!

Would love to see your homemade cab-forward in some of these shots.  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

OLDERTIMER

:)Love the way you blend your backgrounds in, Sid.  Great work, Paul G. :)