Help request - Bachmann Big Haulers G Scale

Started by JSnyder, December 09, 2019, 08:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSnyder

I have a Bachmann Big Haulers Royal Blue G Scale Complete Ready-to-run Train Set (details below) that I am struggling to get running.  Instructions were lost...  I'm just just getting back into this after many years away.

I'd greatly appreciate any troubleshooting tips, checklists to walk through or expertise from fellow train enthusiasts on this site. 

Thank you.
Joe

—————
Baltimore & Ohio (B &O) 4-6-0 Steam Locomotive with Tender
G scale
Realistic electronic steam & locomotive sounds
Operating headlight
Lighted Combine Car with Operating Doors
Observation Car with lighted interior and Drumhead
20 running feet of steel alloy track
UL Approved Power Pack
"G" Full Baggage Car (B & O Royal Blue)
"G" Lighted Coach Car (B & O Royal Blue)

DoyleS

I have the same set but it always ran rough and jerky. 
I was about to sell it on Craigslist when I found this forum.
You can order a new Chassis for $40 or an Annie Chassis for $45 with metal drivers (looks better in my opinion).
Any of the 4 6 0 chassis will fit.  I ordered the 81097.  The new chassis run like a dream.

1. In terms of fixing your existing engine, First things to check is your power supply.  It should put out somewhere around 20 volts DC at full throttle. 
2. It could be that things are frozen up in your gear train which would mean opening it up and lubricating everything.  Also check to make sure there are no broken wires. 

There are a lot of posts on the forum about cleaning up Big Haulers.  Actually pretty easy to work on. 
A suggestion.   Grab some post it notes and scotch tape.  When you remove screws,  tape them to a post it and label where they came from. Makes it a lot easier going back together.   Near the top of the Large Discussion is a detailed description on repair tips.

Joe Zullo

Make certain your front truck has not been turned 180º.  That will cause a short and prevent it from running. There should be a white arrow on the bottom of it that should point forward. 

Joe Zullo

Quote from: DoyleS on December 10, 2019, 02:19:48 PM

You can order a new Chassis for $40 or an Annie Chassis for $45 with metal drivers (looks better in my opinion).

All track powered 10 wheelers have metal drivers. I think you are referring to the valve gear and side rods.

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!