Easy Sound for the new 4-4-0 by Replacement Decoder ?

Started by Tomcat, December 15, 2007, 11:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomcat

Hi all,

just discussed this with a friend - wouldn´t it be easy to buy a replacement decoder for the Sandy River Forney to use in the new 4-4-0 American ?

Personally I would think this could be a straightforward job, trusting that Bachmann has already prepared the Tender of the 4-4-0 very well (as usual) for fitting a decoder and speaker. My recommendation for getting good results is using the Speaker Housing from Soundtraxx´s range or by producing a speaker housing by yourself - an old pill box, plasticcard or something like that.

Bachmann: Would it be possible to buy a replacement decoder for a Sound Forney at this moment? Or have we to ask the guys in Durango...?

Would be great if you could let us know - would trust there are lots of folks interested in this idea...?

Thanks to all.
Kind regards, Tom

the Bach-man

Dear Tom,
Soundtraxx it is!
Happy Holidays!
the Bach-man

hminky

The one from the HO 2-8-0 fits right in the 4-4-0, the screw holes even match.

On steam locomotives the tender body serves as the soundbox. One of those add-on enclosures only lessens the air in the soundbox of the tender shell.

Harold

Mike_AA9ZY

My question is, "where do I get these decoders?"

I like the style of the smaller 4-4-0 and think 2 (or more!) of them are destined for the Plum River Central.

Tomcat

Well, Soundtraxx does produce them - great stuff, though. Have a lot of their Tsunamis in my Bachmann and MMI Locos, they´re great. Adding them is a straightforward job, lot prepared as Harold already said. Nothing to fear.

The Tsunami "Light Steam" or "Medium Steam" should work well for the
4-4-0. Try www.caboosehobbies.com or try Soundtraxx directly, they run a shop just across the road in Durango, but heaven - can´t recall the name.

Would guess, they will direct you to the shop.
Or look for low price Tsunami´s, ocassionally you can grab a reduced one.

Kind regards, Tom

ksivils

Contact Tony's Train Exchange.  I have nothing but positives to say about the service there - they have handled my business in an A++ manner.  Even handled a problem in my favor financially that most businesses, even though they were in the wrong, would have just walked away from.  Not Tony's.

Also, they are total experts in DCC and anything DCC related.  They have all the cutting edge DCC stuff and have a real feel for the pulse of the DCC industry and that aspect of the hobby.

Very willing to give advice, help, etc. in anyway they can.  Also, if they don't have it, probably no one else does.

Just do a search for Tony's Train Exchange.

A very happy customer.

Kevin S.

Mike_AA9ZY

Hey Harold, do you recall the part number for the Soundtraxx decoder? BTW, I have always enjoyed your website and On30 modeling.

Mike