News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

G gauge christmas train

Started by CAMPBELL LYNN, December 14, 2019, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CAMPBELL LYNN

Help, I have a G gauge christmas train that will not run.I have a brand new speed controller, track connector, and plug in..the train still will not work. It worked fine last Christmas..any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

DoyleS

First thing to do is make sure your speed controller is operating.
If you have a voltmeter,  then measure the output voltage of the controller.  With the speed turned up it should be a DC voltage ranging from 0 to 21 volts.  If that is correct then measure the voltage at your track to make sure you don't have a bad wire connection.
Some engines have two switches behind the smoke box door on the front of the engine.
One switch is for turning on the smoke generator and the other switch is a polarity switch that can change the direction the engine moves.  That switch may be a 3 position switch. If so, the center position is OFF.  Make sure it is not in the off position.
That is a few things to check and report back your findings.

CAMPBELL LYNN

I have checked all the above..help...

Joe Zullo

Check to see if the pilot truck is in the proper direction. Sometimes they get turned around and create a short. There should be a whit arrow on the bottom and it should point forward.

CAMPBELL LYNN

Truck is in the proper position.

Joe Zullo

Turn the loco upside down and examine the very thin wires that come from the front truck and disappear into the curved slot where the truck mounts. It is very common for these wires to get mangled and create a short preventing the loco from running.

DoyleS

So you say it doesn't run but does the headlight come on when you apply power?
Just trying to see if you might have a broken wire. 
what is the make and model of your speed controller?
How old is your Christmas Train?