News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Loco/Cars/Track Ratio

Started by DMJ-Oregon, December 14, 2019, 04:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMJ-Oregon

Hi!  New to model RR - just received an Empire Builder set.  Ordered a Light Mountain loco, DCC controller, some track, and a couple of additional cars.  Probably will stay with an oval, single track layout of about 48"x24".  Wondering if there is any rule of thumb for what is a reasonable number of cars/engine or length of train/track?

Maletrain

There really isn't a rule of thumb for model layouts.  You do what you like, within the limits imposed by your equipment. 

You say you will have a single track oval.  With DCC you couldrun more than one train on the oval at the same time, but will have to make sure one doesn't catch up with the other.  (Obviously, you can't run 2 trains in opposite directions on the same oval, at least not more than half a lap!)

The length of a train will be limited by how much your locomotive can pull.  And, that will vary with different locomotives, and also with the layout - does it have grades? sharp curves?  You will wear locomotives out (especially traction tires) if you load them down so much that the wheels slip a lot on grades and curves.  Of course, you don't have to pull the longest train possible.  On small layouts, it may be more a matter of what looks best to you.

You did not mention switch yards.  Model railroaders have a tendency to have too many cars on a layout for efficient switch yard operations.  But, it is really a matter of what you want to do with your yard.  If it is really just where you store intact trains so that you can easily swap-put which train is running on the oval and which is waiting its turn in the yard, then you can pretty much fill the yard up with trains.  But, if you get into simulating prototype operations where cars come in on one train and get sorted into groups of cars to go out on other trains, then you need to maintain plenty of free room in your yard, or the sorting will become more like trying to solve a Chinese puzzle box.

In the end, you do whatever you want to do on your own layout.  But, you usually need to start doing it to figure out what really appeals to you.

DMJ-Oregon

Thank you, Maletrain.  Yes, I'm going to have about a 44"x32" flat, oval with a turnout and "spur" a layout I found in the Bachmann layout document.  With all the cars from the Empire Builder set and two more I ordered, my train is taking approx. one-third of my track - thinking too long, and will probably split between loco.  Running the original loco that came with my set, and have ordered a DCC "Light Mountain" loco (delivered) and controller (not arrived yet).  I had replaced the original loco with the DCC/Sound Value loco and running on analog controller - no more than two hours, until DCC controller arrives.  The Light Mountain loco stopped running - sound still happen but wheels will not turn.