News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EMD F40PH Diesel motor replacement problem

Started by Dragon 69, December 14, 2019, 06:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragon 69

I am new to forum,thanks for any help, please forgive me for not knowing, I have a Spectrum GE Dash 8-40C Diesel CSX #7563,I ran it as per breakin for 10 days and the motor started to vibrate. Found flywheel shaft had melted plastic motor opening. looking for replacement motor. how do you get the driveshaft coupler off the flywheel, new motors don't seem to come with them.
😊 3 Days older than Dirt

RAM

If this is a new locomoyive and you got it from a Bachmann dealer. I would take it back.

jonathan

Ok. Just looked this up in parts dept.

This loco has been out of production for a while now, I gather you are trying to replace the Bachmann motor with something like an NWSL motor... or some other motor?

At a minimum you'll need a "Gear Puller" to get the flywheel off the old motor. Have you measured the motor axle diameter?

I see the entire chassis is available in the parts dept. May sound expensive, but you could spend just as much in tools and frustration.. just sayin.

What's up with the thread title? Are we talking about a Dash 8 or F40PH?

Regards,

Jonathan

Dragon 69

Hi Thanks for all the help and advise.I bought the loco off of ebay,no returns. The box states it is a GE DASH 8-40C Diesel,item no 85019. Parts sheet that came with loco states EMD F40PH Diesel, the Bachmann part number for motor is 6153. Bachmann shows it has replacement motor but it does not show the plastic drive shaft coupler on new motor. I do not have a puller or know  the motor shaft size. I only paid 75$ for loco. Might be easier to buy new loco. Train shops in my area are 40 to 50 miles from me. Waiting on answer from Bachmann as to the warranty. If I am correct the date on the inside of the bottom section of box is 031016,2003  October 16th if correct. Would there still be a warranty if it is this old, box was sealed in heat shrink plastic when bought.
😊 3 Days older than Dirt

WoundedBear

Terry Toenges

If the box said one thing and part sheet said another, I'd be thinking that the sealed shrink wrapping was done by the EBay seller and not original. I know that some sellers do this.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

AGAIN.  BROKEN RECORD.  BEWARE, O BEWARE OF "USED" LOCOMOTIVES"!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

Provide negative eBay feedback.  Eventually justice will be served.

Trainman203

One thing you could do is make a dummy unit out of the turkey.  Then you could make a modern push-pull train.

kirkifer

If this is an old split frame model, good luck. The Bachmann motors are not the best and often break when you pull the split frame apart. It is a well known problem. I am sure Bachmann didn't plan it this way, but once they have committed to a design or a mfg. it is a hard and expensive thing to change.

If you are lucky enough to have a newer frame, you can mount just about any manufacturers can motor in place. They usually have their own flywheels attached. If you are trying to use any flywheel that is not machined metal, you will ALWAYS have a big risk of having vibration issues.

Look up how to make an HO gear puller or buy one from NWSL. They are worth the money. So is a driver quarterer. Both tools are an absolute must if you plan on replacing gears on steam engines.

Trainman203

Unless you are looking to occupy an excess of spare time, repairing engines in today's world seems hardly worth it, with already low prices (factoring inflation compared to yesteryear's prices) abetted by eBay and discount house sales.

One example is Bachmann's consolidation replacement chassis, priced within a few dollars of an entire brand new engine from XYZ Train Discounts.  Unless you have custom detailed and decaled shells to keep.... I'd get the new engine.

Len

If it's an F40PH, Walthers has some on sale in their 'Mainline' series. You might be able to swap your shell if that's what you want to do.

If it's actually a Dash 8-40CW Atlas has announced a new release advance reservations are being taken for. Several road names have already sold out as advance reservations, so I wouldn't dawdle if you want one.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.