News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Big Stack on the 4-4-0

Started by hminky, December 21, 2007, 09:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

There is a lot of talk on other forums about putting a big stack on the 4-4-0 and the balance. Here she is with a PSC Hunter-Radley:

Obviously way too big, sorta like one of those Hollywood "backdated" locos.

The 4-4-0 ran the same with that much weight on the front with no balance problems at all.

Harold

Dusten Barefoot

You could try to move the head light ;D. I have a friend who has already backdated the 4-4-0 and it looks great! Instead of the Radley Hunter, he put on a dimond stack.
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten ;D
I'm pestersum aint I.
I know I pester the hell out of everone over a 4-6-0
E.T.&.W.N.C, TWEETSIE, LINVILLE.
www.tweetsierailroad.com
http://www.johnsonsdepot.com/crumley/tour1.htm
#12 and 10-Wheelers
Black River & Southern
Rock On & Live Strong
Dusten

hminky

The 4-4-0, being a two foot prototype, is the same size as an Sn3 4-4-0. The On3 stack is too big for a two foot prototype. If there were an S scale Hunter-Radley it would fit the 4-4-0.

Harold

Royce Wilson

Actually that stack looks good,would look better if mounted right.

Hiltons narrow gauge book is full of examples of tiny wood burners one of them looks like a HO scale Genoa with a O scale wood cab.
Also check out some of the logging roads such as the Argent Lumber Company or the small engines of the Lawndale Railroad.
Most narrow gauge roads were like a lot of modelers,they bought what they could afford.

Thanks for the photos now I know I gonna get one and make it a slab eater.       :D                                                         Royce ::)

Tim

Guys

Boulder Valley Models, just announced fluted domes and a cogden stack
for the 4-4-0.  Check it out here.

http://hometown.aol.com/On30resinkits/index.html

Tim Anders
Souderton, Pa

Charlie Mutschler

I just checked the Boulder Valley Models site.  Nice stuff.  But a word of correction - the advertisement is for fluted domes and a CABBAGE stack for the 4-4-0, which is what the photo of the pre-production samples shows.  A Congdon stack would be appropriate for back-dating the Bachmann C&S 2-6-0, since many of the DSP&P locomotives were originally equipped with Congdon stacks. 

Happy modifications all. 
Charlie Mutschler
-30-