News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ Command

Started by BillyS, December 18, 2019, 03:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyS

Still learning the basics. If I am understanding correctly, I can run one DC loco using address #10 on the Command unit. And I can operate a loco with a stand alone transformer wired into the command unit. I want to understand exactly what I'm doing before attempting anything wrong. I'm planning to use a simple controller (like a 46605A) from the opposite side of the layout.
1) Does the stand alone throttle control only address #10? is it incapable of operating the other frequencies?
2) Will address #10 work for a DCC loco either from the Command unit or the stand alone throttle? or both?
3) Am I correct that the Command unit relinquishes control to the stand alone unit only when they are connected and the DC power is detected?
4) Would a "momentum/brake" equipped older transformer be usable to improve operation of a DC unit through address #10? Or would that pulsing interfere with the whole system?

jonathan

You absolutely cannot run a DC throttle at the same time as a DCC system on your layout.  Don't know which one will melt first, but don't do it. 

Address 10 on your EZ Command can run a DC locomotive, BUT, you don't want to leave that locomotive on the track when not in use.  The motor will will burn up.  Smarter folk than me may chime in. 

If you must run DC and DCC, change out the DC throttle and EZ command.  Please don't try to run both at once.  Bad things will happen.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

E-Z Command Control Center allows you to control up to nine digital locomotives and will also accommodate your favorite non-digital DC locomotives (without DCC decoders). However, only ONE DC locomotive can be run at any one time on address button 10.

You can also connect a Bachmann DC controller (i.e. Power Pack and Speed Controller) that is DCC  compatible to the E-Z Command Control Center to run a DC locomotive.
Click Here and scroll to STANDARD DC LOCOMOTIVE OPERATION  on page  6 -  follow the instructions.  Note the Bachmann DC controller is not a standalone.

DO NOT use other band of DC controller or a Bachmann Power Pack and Speed Controller that is not DCC compatible. Bachmann Trains Online Store indicates if a Power Pack and Speed Controller is or is not DCC compatible.

While you can use  E-Z Command Control Center to run DC and DCC locomotive on the same track at same time --- realize there is always full voltage DCC power on the track never variable DC voltage.  Thus the DC locomotive is subject to overheating and being ruined.  Suggest you never run a DC locomotive using E-Z Command Control Center.

DMJ-Oregon

Hi - I too am new to railroading, having just received an Empire Builder set (N scale).  I have purchased a DCC loco and DCC controller.  Yes I understand not to let my DC loco set on tracks after connecting the DCC controller.  Going to have a 32x44 layout and don't really anticipate running both loco's at once but maybe later.  Just received the DCC controller and am struggling.  I found the Econami DCC User Guide, but frankly (at this point) I enjoyed the sounds - and absence of frustration - of running my DCC Light Mountain "Southern" loco on my analog DC controller.  Any tips?

Also, my layout has three turnouts, must I connect the turnout controller or can I just change the tracks manually as the distance (reach) is arms length.  If manual switch is an option, I could just disconnect the wires to the turnout track.  Trying to keep the number of wires/controllers to a minimum.  Thanks.

Nathan

Hunt

Quote from: DMJ-Oregon on December 20, 2019, 08:36:06 PM
Hi - I too am new to railroading, having just received an Empire Builder set (N scale).  I have purchased a DCC loco and DCC controller.  Yes I understand not to let my DC loco set on tracks after connecting the DCC controller.  Going to have a 32x44 layout and don't really anticipate running both loco's at once but maybe later.  Just received the DCC controller and am struggling.  I found the Econami DCC User Guide, but frankly (at this point) I enjoyed the sounds - and absence of frustration - of running my DCC Light Mountain "Southern" loco on my analog DC controller.  Any tips?

Also, my layout has three turnouts, must I connect the turnout controller or can I just change the tracks manually as the distance (reach) is arms length.  If manual switch is an option, I could just disconnect the wires to the turnout track.  Trying to keep the number of wires/controllers to a minimum.  Thanks.

DMJ-Oregon

In future - Suggest starting a new subject for your questions - not hijacking or piggybacking in some else's

The SoundTraxx Econami Digital Sound Decoder Steam User's Guide** manual contains how to operate a SoundTraxx Econami decoder and customize each of its CVs setting to fit your preferences and includes some helpful troubleshooting tips. This document is of limited use with a Bachmann E-Z Command Control Center as the   E-Z Command Control Center cannot program any decoder by user supplied CV (Configuration Variable) number.

Click Here for how the decoder in your Bachmann Light Mountain Steam N Scale  locomotive equipped with a Ecomani SoundValue decoder CVs have  been set in the decoder factory installed in the locomotive you have.

** Click Here for SoundTraxx Econami Digital Sound Decoder Steam User's Guide Manual

You will have to replace your Bachmann DCC controller ( E-Z Command Control Center) to take full advance of what can be done with DCC and leverage the capability of the DCC decoder factory installed in you locomotive.

You can manual line each turnout.