News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

selling

Started by RAM, December 18, 2019, 11:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

You keep hearing not to buy on Ebay.  Being 87 I need to start selling models that I will never get around to using.  Where is a good place to sell them.  

Terry Toenges

Some people don't like eBay. Some Do. Some people buy from EBay. Some don't. I've bought a ton of model railroad stuff off Ebay over the past 20+ years and only got burned once or twice. There are thousands of people who use it everyday. There are "brick and mortar" model railroad stores that also sell on EBay. The best advice is to read the feedback that people leave about buyers and sellers. I try to stick with those who are over 98% positive. Read the negatives that people list. Some people will complain about things that aren't even the sellers fault. As long as you're just selling, you don't have to worry about some of those things.
Feel like a Mogul.

Maletrain

I buy on eBay, but don't sell on eBay, so all I can say is that sellers do a lot of complaining about how eBay treats sellers.  Apparently, there are several pitfalls and you need learn how to navigate in order to successfully deal with that small fraction of buyers who are jerks or worse.

Other options for selling off your collection include posting the items on the sections of model railroad forums that have "swap" or "trading post" sections where members sell to other members.

But, however you do it, it is helpful to first watch what items like the ones you want to sell actually sell for on eBay.  I emphasize "actually" because there is a wide range of prices listed for the same item on eBay, and many are unrealistically high, so the items don't sell fast, if at all, at those prices.  There are also sometimes unbelievably low prices on nice items on eBay, and those sell in hours, or even minutes.  So, knowing about what your items will sell for is helpful in setting up starting bids, and maybe "reserves" if you have really rare items in great condition.

But, frankly, when I did what I recommended above to see what I could get for some items I no longer wanted, it just did not look like it was worth my effort to sell them for what I could expect to get.  So, I donated them to my local train club (trains) and some local charities (non-trains).  Both then sell those items, usually at pretty low prices, and use the proceeds to further their causes, whether that is keeping the doors open and trains running at train clubs, or helping the needy by the charities.

DAVISinGP

I've been pleased with my buying experiences on ebay.

My selling adventure, not so much.

A few years ago, I thought I'd use ebay to sell the hundreds of automotive brochures I'd collected all my life. Seemed like an easy way to get rid of them and make a few bucks.

The first thing I discovered is that it's quite a bit of work setting it all up (ebay, PayPal, a separate bank account, shipping materials, etc.). It was very time consuming as I'm not as technically savvy as I once was. (Who is?  ;))

When I finally got it all working, every time I put an item up for sale, the only responses I received was automated notifications from ebay telling me that the item I was trying to sell for $20 was for sale from multiple other vendors at $8 or $10. I realized I was trying to compete with high volume dealers.

Just my two cents: Unless you're looking for a full-time hobby, sell (or donate) all your stuff in one or a few small lots and be done with it.

I've had quite a bit of luck selling stuff on Craig's List. Might try an ad there.

YMMV

Good luck.

EDIT: I thought of a funny post script to my story. I had originally tried the above ebay project as a winter hobby after retiring to Oregon from So. Cal. Since that didn't work out, I decided to get into a different hobby. Can you guess what? :)

Trainman203

You have to really know what you are looking for and closely study multiple photographs for general condition of the item, broken or missing pieces, etc.  Layers  of dust indicate neglect.  Bent or broken parts mean abuse.  Poor craftsmanship or paint job, the same.  Stay away from all of that. One or two fuzzy photos can mean an attempt to hide something.  Beware when someone says I don't know much about trains so can't vouch for condition.  They do know and are trying to get you pulled in.

But once you know where the potholes in the road are, you can get some really nice things.

Len

Also be very wary of anything with a description that starts out, "Rare and hard to find.", as it usually isn't rare, or hard to find.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

Or "vintage ".😱😱😂😂😂

Len

Quote from: Trainman203 on December 20, 2019, 02:57:07 PM
Or "vintage ".😱😱😂😂😂

"Vintage" = Parts have been stripped out to keep other locos running because they are no longer available from the manufacturer.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I agree with the "I don't know much about trains" part. I've seen quite a few of those and I'm sure they know the condition. There are the ones who will take photos in such a way as to hide important details, too.
Feel like a Mogul.