Don’t buy me a train. Please.

Started by Trainman203, December 20, 2019, 12:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

It's Christmas gift giving time, when model railroaders often receive well meant but poorly chosen railroad items for a gift.  I've gotten ridiculous art work and railroad cars completely inappropriate for my layout but have to be on it when they visit.

Tell us your experiences.

Maletrain

Been there, gotten those.  Now, I make a "wish list" of items by compiling a set of links to them at convenient on-line shopping sites.  That way, people can easily get things for me that they know I will like.  Of course, I tailor what is on my list to the financial and emotional parameters of who the list goes to.  A relatively inexpensive item like a vehicle or other easily recognized item seems best for a child (usually actually a parent) to give me because the child can understand what it is and why I like it.  Some adults who have the same cluelessness about model railroading, so the same types of items work for them, too.  For adults who are "into" model railroading, I might ask for a kit of a building or even just some detail parts for a locomotive, or maybe even a not-so-expensive electrical device.  But, unfortunately for me, I don't have any "Uncle Warbucks" who can give me that brass steam locomotive and those 6 brass cars that go with it.

Terry Toenges

Someone just gave me a Hawthorne Village "Johnny Cash" diesel.  ::) :-\ :(
I guess it will occupy a place on a shelf somewhere.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Even though I model HO, when my repair shop was open I don't know how many O scale accessory items I was given at Christmas. People thought because I repaired O scale equipment, that must be what I did myself, without bothering to ask.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

DAVISinGP

IMHO, it's the thought that counts. I will always have the shelf space for people who spent the time (and money) thinking of me.

That said, if you want to get me something but don't know what, a Home Depot gift card would also be OK. ;)

Trainman203

That's a good response.  A display shelf for such white elephants is a good idea.

I'm interested in hearing what absurdities people have received.

Maletrain

Well, I did get a Lego set to make a steam engine or caboose (depending on how I put the parts together).  t was actually fun while I was away from home for Christmas, but doesn't exactly fit my modeling period, road or scale.  So, I need to make a shelf for it, somewhere.

Joe323

I have had similar issues with people giving me inappropriate train gifts so now I just order and let them wrap.  Or let them order something such as a sweat shirt that won't be on the layout.

Terry Toenges

I just received this a couple of weeks ago for my birthday.  :)
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

bbmiroku

Streetlights and a train order post, obviously. Or it's a telephone pole...
Prolly an off-brand to go with the little magnetic trains that go on the wooden tracks.

DAVISinGP

They could pass for salt and pepper shakers.

I'd put 'em on the table and see what people do.

;D

Terry Toenges

I wondered if someone was missing a chess piece.
Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Trainman203

What's some more misfit "trains" you may have ended up with?  And what did you do with them?