News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

'Trench' loco arrived, very nice!

Started by p51, December 20, 2019, 04:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p51

I've had time to break in my 2-6-2T 'trench' loco and I'm very happy with it.

I've written a review of it for O Gauge Railroading magazine, so we'll see when they run that.
It needs some breaking in out of the box, so don't think you got a lemon when you first run it. Even 10-20 minutes later of running, I noticed it ran much smoother. I saw someone else saying they through it on test rollers for half an hour and it was fine after that.
The sound is amazing. When you cut the throttle, you're hearing the clanking of the rods, then the engine picks back up after a few seconds, just like a real steam loco. And when you accelerate, the volume increases, as it does on grades.
Mine is the black version, as I wanna make it into a WW2 era one (the OD green and 'Mash' style stencil one is inaccurate, based on the wrong-painted davenport engine on display at Ft Benning) with white "USA" and engine number down the sides.
She also pulls like a beast. Ten cars and not a bit of slipping.
My only complaint is only apparently the 6 drivers have electrical pickup, so it's unforgiving of dirty track. But at least they mounted a 'keep alive' inside to counter that for the most part.
The builder's plate looks great. That was the one thing about Bachmann engines that drove me nuts before this; the builders plates were the opposite of how they were in real life (black lettering on a bronze background on the model, the real backgrounds were black with bronze characters).
Anyway, they did a great job and I'm very happy with this!
https://youtu.be/oPs1xkBu0zo
-Lee

p51

Yesterday, I did the weathering on my Army 2-6-2T and put a couple of GI figures into the cab of my Baldwin 1917 'trench' locomotive.
Notice the number plate, I created that myself on my computer.

If you look along the forward part of side water tank, you can see where I tried to re-create the look of recently added H2O to the tank, spilling over the side somewhat.
So, why a road number of 5069? Well, I just turned 50 and was born in 1969. This was a delayed birthday present to myself, and 5069 was a road number carried by one of these engines as-delivered from Baldwin, so why not? If not that, it would have been 5044, for my Jeep's deliver year of 1944...
The decals were one character at a time. That took a while with magnifying tools to get that right (keep in mind, this engine was just about the size of a GMC 2.5-ton truck, so even in O scale it's very small).
A few days before, returning to Atlanta airport from visiting my parents in Florida for Christmas, I swung through Fort Benning to take several photos of their Davenport locomotive. These were made as copies of the Baldwin design and most stayed here in the states. This is one of the few left:

I just wish they hadn't painted it in OD green (to include the running gear!), as none were painted like this in service.
-Lee

Terry Toenges

Did you elevate the front or is that the way it came? It looks like the boiler is jacked up compared to the real one.
Feel like a Mogul.

p51

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 02, 2020, 05:43:46 PM
Did you elevate the front or is that the way it came? It looks like the boiler is jacked up compared to the real one.
It came that way and I think that's intentional. Note that in the model and this davenport copy, the drains are to the rear, so the front end would have to be just a higher than then front, right?
-Lee

Ton N

Hy guys i'm back again under a different account name.
After upgrading win7 to win10 i was not able to log in under the dutchbuilder account anymore.

I received my 2-6-2 today.
Nice little loco.
I find the WOWsound a bit disappointing to what i am used with the Soundtraxx sound.
it also sounds very high pitched.
Is there a CV list somewhere?
Not on this site after looking for it.

It is monday now and i have been programming some essential cv's with JMRI.
No TCS class 10 to be found so i used the standard wowsound decoder.
I know it is not the correct one but it will have to do for now.
Been searching on the TCS site but could not find anything for the Class 10.
I get the impression from their site that those guys are more interested in selling than supporting.
It's early days for this model so i guess i will have to be patient.

Ton

p51

Quote from: Ton N on January 19, 2020, 12:05:49 PM
I received my 2-6-2 today.
Nice little loco.
I find the WOWsound a bit disappointing to what i am used with the Soundtraxx sound.
it also sounds very high pitched.
Is there a CV list somewhere?
Not on this site after looking for it.
If you look through the paperwork that came with the loco (look under the piece of paper at the bottom of the box, under that), there's a guide on how to change things. If you go through the menu with your DCC controller, you can change the bell, whistle and other things very easily that way. I got rid of the "European" style shrill whistle and changed the bell to something other than what you'd hear on a WW1 London tram.
You can hear the difference in these videos I shot last night:
https://youtu.be/vrUnfQN7kYw
https://youtu.be/rt3AOIDfmqI
-Lee

Ton N

Thanks Lee , I know about the "secret" compartment in the box.
After about 50 of those boxes i should know.
Bachmann included even two quick guides, but that is what it is , a quick guide.
I found this on the TCS site;
https://tcsdcc.com/4CVSteamV4
Looks promising but is not it.
More documentation will come soon , they say about the 0n30 class 10.
A bit late in my opinion.
I want to go deeper into the software so i need the complete tech manual as you can find for the Tsunami on their site.
I don't like to be led by the hand by the manufacturer on what i should or shouldn't know.

Meanwhile i am finishing three scratchbuild period correct box cars.
https://www.amerikaanse-treinen.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1537.30
reaction 37

Ton

Ton N

Does anyone know which type of WOW Sound decoder is being used?

Ton

p51

Last night I decided to test the pulling power of my new locomotive. I put almost all the freight cars on the layout behind it and it only slipped once I put a passenger car onto the end of that. Once I pulled that coach back off, I had 14 cars in tow, making it the longest train I've ever run here:

https://youtu.be/uCvJUXo2YcY 

I'm quite sure the real Baldwin Class 10s couldn't pull that many cars.

My Bachmann ET&WNC ten-wheelers, I'm sure, could handle this with ease but I've never pulled more than about 6-7 cars behind one of those.
-Lee

Ton N

I also made a small movie about my new trench locomotive.
I have the WW1 version and scratchbuild some USA army rolling-stock using a Silhouette Cameo 3 and software.
You can also see a Kerr Stuart Joffre with WDLR rolling-stock sitting on the siding.
Also drawn and cut with the Cameo.
The two flat-cars were 3D printed by Shapeways.

https://youtu.be/l-qqukLffuU

Ton

charon

Mesquite Short Line

Ton N

Sorry, it's a shame that it is a bit out of focus but that is what you get with a cheap camera.
It is what it is for now, working on it.

Ton

Franck Tavernier

Hi Guys,

Could someone here give me the paint reference used for the grey paint color applied?

I am making a weathering on my loco and I would like to be able to easily shade the shadows and lights starting from the base color used...

Thanks,

All the best,

Franck

the Bach-man

Dear Franck,
It's RAL 7000 Grey.
Have fun!
the Bach-man