News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Upload Folder is Full

Started by DoyleS, December 21, 2019, 01:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoyleS

Tried to post a picture of my Big Hauler conversion to a Polar Express but I keep getting a message that the upload folder is full.  My picture was only 94 KB.

Len

You can't upload pictures directly to this forum. You have to load them to a hosting site like Flickr, Photobucket, Facebook, etc., then post a link to the picture here between [i m g] [/i m g] tags, only without the spaces in the tags.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe Zullo

They should remove that "attach:" widget from this forum as it has NEVER worked!  :-\

charon

They should also let us post pix right from our computers instead of having to go to a third party hosting site.  I belong to about ten other forums and they all allow direct picture uploading, no archaic third party hosting.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Joe Zullo

Some of the forums I post to do not allow direct posting of photos from your computer. I think it is unreasonable to expect a host to store all your photos for you. That costs the host a bundle!

armorsmith

Chuck,

Do you pay to belong to those fora? There are very few model railroad fora that allow direct posting for the simple reason your 'direct link' is not a link. A link would mean that every time someone went to view that picture, YOUR COMPUTER would have to upload that picture to the site requesting the picture. I am certain your computer is not on and linked to the internet 24/7/365. Those sites that appear to allow direct links are gracious enough to store your photos for you.

Copied from a thread on the Large Scale Central forum:

Dear friends,
Flickr—the world's most-beloved, money-losing business—needs your help.

Two years ago, Flickr was losing tens of millions of dollars a year. Our company, SmugMug, stepped in to rescue it from being shut down and to save tens of billions of your precious photos from being erased.

Why? We've spent 17 years lovingly building our company into a thriving, family-owned and -operated business that cares deeply about photographers. SmugMug has always been the place for photographers to showcase their photography, and we've long admired how Flickr has been the community where they connect with each other. We couldn't stand by and watch Flickr vanish.

So we took a big risk, stepped in, and saved Flickr. Together, we created the world's largest photographer-focused community: a place where photographers can stand out and fit in.

We've been hard at work improving Flickr. We hired an excellent, large staff of Support Heroes who now deliver support with an average customer satisfaction rating of above 90%. We got rid of Yahoo's login. We moved the platform and every photo to Amazon Web Services (AWS), the industry leader in cloud computing, and modernized its technology along the way. As a result, pages are already 20% faster and photos load 30% more quickly. Platform outages, including Pandas, are way down. Flickr continues to get faster and more stable, and important new features are being built once again.

Our work is never done, but we've made tremendous progress.

Now Flickr needs your help. It's still losing money. Hundreds of thousands of loyal Flickr members stepped up and joined Flickr Pro, for which we are eternally grateful. It's losing a lot less money than it was. But it's not yet making enough.

We need more Flickr Pro members if we want to keep the Flickr dream alive.

We didn't buy Flickr because we thought it was a cash cow. Unlike platforms like Facebook, we also didn't buy it to invade your privacy and sell your data. We bought it because we love photographers, we love photography, and we believe Flickr deserves not only to live on but thrive. We think the world agrees; and we think the Flickr community does, too. But we cannot continue to operate it at a loss as we've been doing.

Flickr is the world's largest photographer-focused community. It's the world's best way to find great photography and connect with amazing photographers. Flickr hosts some of the world's most iconic, most priceless photos, freely available to the entire world. This community is home to more than 100 million accounts and tens of billions of photos. It serves billions of photos every single day. It's huge. It's a priceless treasure for the whole world. And it costs money to operate. Lots of money.

Flickr is not a charity, and we're not asking you for a donation. Flickr is the best value in photo sharing anywhere in the world. Flickr Pro members get ad-free browsing for themselves and their visitors, advanced stats, unlimited full-quality storage for all their photos, plus premium features and access to the world's largest photographer-focused community for less than $5 per month.

You likely pay services such as Netflix and Spotify at least $9 per month. I love services like these, and I'm a happy paying customer, but they don't keep your priceless photos safe and let you share them with the most important people in your world. Flickr does, and a Flickr Pro membership costs less than $1 per week.

Please, help us make Flickr thrive. Help us ensure it has a bright future. Every Flickr Pro subscription goes directly to keeping Flickr alive and creating great new experiences for photographers like you. We are building lots of great things for the Flickr community, but we need your help. We can do this together.

We're launching our end-of-year Pro subscription campaign on Thursday, December 26, but I want to invite you to subscribe to Flickr Pro today for the same 25% discount.

We've gone to great lengths to optimize Flickr for cost savings wherever possible, but the increasing cost of operating this enormous community and continuing to invest in its future will require a small price increase early in the new year, so this is truly the very best time to upgrade your membership to Pro.

If you value Flickr finally being independent, built for photographers and by photographers, we ask you to join us, and to share this offer with those who share your love of photography and community.

With gratitude,

Don MacAskill
Co-Founder, CEO & Chief Geek
SmugMug + Flickr

And from one of my posts in the same thread:

Greg said it best in his first post - "There is no such thing as a free lunch." I will say it a different way - "You get what you pay for."

If you value your pictures as part of your hobby experience, INVEST in a storage method that suits your stye and budget. I personally have several web domains, so I pay for a hosting service which provides me with both a large storage capacity and the benefit of a backup service so even if there is a catastrophic event at the hosting service, all my data is backed up and recoverable. No, the service is not particularly cheap, but I consider it an investment in my enjoyment of sharing with others.

As for the myriad of photo hosting services available, I would recommend trying to read the EULA before committing funds. I would bet most, like Photobucket, that storing photos on their site gives them the right to use your photos as they see fit. And as was found out by many hobbyists of all genres, free means you are subject to the whim of the provider.

As for Cloud services, they are a growing storage media, even in the business world. I work for a Government sub contractor, with lots of security and my company has moved lots of our data storage to Cloud services. Tongue in cheek "where is that cloud anyway?". Seriously though, cloud services are really no different than any  other storage medium, you need to do your homework to determine the security and reliability of the service.

These are my thoughts and opinions for what they are worth to the reader.

Those are two of the most pertinent posts in my opinion. For the whole read https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30080/picture-problems-something-changed?page=1

Times are changing. Twice in recent memory congress (pressured by big money interests) have tried to remove Net Neutrality, your reasonably priced service. How long will you be surfing the internet if you are required to 'pay by the minute' for usage? Remember my statements, it is coming. It is just a matter of time before the money interests garner enough votes to accomplish the removal of Net Neutrality.

FWIW