News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The new decapods are here

Started by Trainman203, December 26, 2019, 04:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

When someone gets one please provide a report.  Especially on if the plumbing details are still separate or molded on, quality and smoothness of ultra low speed operation, quality of sound, ease of modifying decoder settings such as whistle selection , and number of whistle selections available.

I wish this engine had been offered with a Soundtraxx decoder.

ebtnut

OK, clue me in.  Did Bachmann release a new run of the Russians?

Trainman203

Yes they have.  And they appear to be at the discount houses.  I had several issues with the previous runs and am awaiting a report before I invest in a new one. 

Hunt

Quote from: ebtnut on December 30, 2019, 11:37:15 AM

OK, clue me in.  Did Bachmann release a new run of the Russians?

ebnut,

Click Here

The new 2-10-0 Russian Decapod release is factory equipped with TCS WoWSound decoder with Chuffinity™ technology.

Additional decoder documentation coming soon per TCS website.

Irbricksceo

I too am curious, especially since old-run russians are regularly avail for under 150 in the second-hand market.
Modeling NYC in N

Trainman203

So are all the other Bachmann steamers.  The 52" ten wheeler and 2-8-0 in particular.  What I'm wondering is if the reissue has better motor control among a couple of other things.u

bob kaplan

Been using mine a bit.  I find that it runs nicely so far.   Pretty good slow speed control.   Sound is nice....but I am not really a sound guy.   Detail is fine for me, but again...I am not a rivet counter.   There is a nice look about the whole thing....however....I did get the undecorated model which comes with a choice of smokebox fronts and headlights.  Nice idea, poor execution..  Handrail stations protrude out the back and stop the front from fitting securely.   The stations are of hard metal and trimming a bit shorter is very difficult.  And the marker light protrusion from the boiler also interfere with good fit.  Hopefully the smoke box front fits better on the decorated models and all would be well.   It's only been one day, so perhaps I am too critical at this point.

Trainman203

Is the plumbing on the boiler still separately applied items?  Or have they become molded on details?

How is the headlight brightness?

You should be able to trim notches in the smokebox front mounting tabs to fit around the handrail stanchions.

bob kaplan

Most of the details seem to be separate...delicate looking.   Head light is pretty dim.

Trainman203

Ok, good, thanks.  Sounds like the same engine from before.  Except with a new unknown sound decoder.  From conversations I've had with knowledgeable people, the WOW TCS is somewhat difficult to negotiate in fine tuning CV's. Plus, I can't find on line sound samples for the whistles, which are of paramount importance to me. 

As much as I wanted Bachmann to bring this engine back, which to their credit they have, it's too pricey with a decoder I'll want to replace at even more expense .  As much as I want the Frisco 1624, I'm probably waiting until secondary market time.

Still, if you have one of the new decs, please report, especially on the sound and on cv changing.