News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SV Addressing Question

Started by Nevada Pacific, December 27, 2019, 06:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nevada Pacific

Can Sound Value Locomotives be programmed with 4 digit addresses? I want to change the default 3 to 5050. When I do, I lose functions. Motor idles, but no horn bell or movement unless i address it back to 3. I am using JMRI

Thanks

David

jonathan

David,

I use JMRI and have numerous sound value locos.  I don't think the 4-digit address is the problem.

I have found that Bachmann locos can be a touch finicky when programming with JMRI.  

First, your programming track must be very clean.

Second,  Loco wheels must be very clean.

Third, ensure loco is facing forward on the programming track.

I have found that the JMRI software takes a little extra time to boot up when starting the PC. I use an old laptop, exclusively for programming locos.  That's just me.  Could be the laptop, could be the software.

My programming is always successful when I let the software detect and select the decoder.  When I select the decoder from the drop-down menu, sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.  Just saying...

You didn't mention the type of loco or PC... or programming track you are using.  Without more info, or holding your equipment in my hands, I probably couldn't tell you the real problem. But there are a couple of guesses to get you started.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

I have successfully changed the addresses on a 2-6-0, RS3, and FA2 without loss of any functions. Try using your command station instead of JMRI to reprogram. When you reprogram your locomotive using JMRI and run into problems, does it still run on address 3?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bapguy

Try programming it to another 2 digit address. If that works, then do your 4 digit address.    Joe