News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Base Layout - Foam

Started by DMJ-Oregon, December 28, 2019, 12:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMJ-Oregon

New to railroading.  Received a Empire Builder set (N) and going to have a 2-1/2'x4' track layout.  Will be setting this on a little used desk, so I'll have plenty of support.  Initially I was going to lay track on 1/2" plywood and cover w/Bachmann Grass Mat.  Now, after doing some reading base material, I'm ready to ditch the plywood idea and go with a base of 2' rigid foam insulation - actually thinking of gluing 2-2" sections (32"x48") together to give some additional height, then still covering (tacking) with the Grass Mat.  Think this base will give me plenty of support and should I need to move my layout, I can geltly pick the whole thing up and move over to the bed temporarily.  Any thoughts or cautions?

WoundedBear

jward

I'd build some kind of enclosure to protect the edges of the foam. It is easily damaged.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

You should be ok with moving it. If you don't want to build an enclosure, you could wrap around the outside with duct tape. Since it comes in different colors now it doesn't have to be gray.
Feel like a Mogul.

DAVISinGP

Quote from: DMJ-Oregon on December 28, 2019, 12:22:39 PM
New to railroading.  Received a Empire Builder set (N) and going to have a 2-1/2'x4' track layout.  Will be setting this on a little used desk, so I'll have plenty of support.  Initially I was going to lay track on 1/2" plywood and cover w/Bachmann Grass Mat.  Now, after doing some reading base material, I'm ready to ditch the plywood idea and go with a base of 2' rigid foam insulation - actually thinking of gluing 2-2" sections (32"x48") together to give some additional height, then still covering (tacking) with the Grass Mat.  Think this base will give me plenty of support and should I need to move my layout, I can geltly pick the whole thing up and move over to the bed temporarily.  Any thoughts or cautions?
Congrats!

My two cents (as a relative newcomer as well) is that you might want to spend some time experimenting with different landscapes and techniques before you decide on a "final" approach for the entire layout. I've changed a number of facets of my layout as I learned different things. As an example, while I've used grass mats in certain scenes, moving to actual scenery products (I lean toward Woodland Scenics) gave me many more options.

Depending on the diorama or layout, I've used the plywood technique as well as foam - each has its own stronger points. When I use foam, I usually glue it to a thin (3/16" or 1/4" MDF. It's still light, but a bit more rigid when moving. Foam is great when you want to carve a below surface feature (i.e.; water).

Main thing is to have fun!  :)

(Where in Oregon are you located?)

DAVISinGP

Quote from: WoundedBear on December 28, 2019, 01:39:13 PM
Use foam safe adhesive.

Sid

Speaking of foam, I use the pink foam (1" insulation stuff). The best glue I've found so far is white Gorilla glue. It dries a bit faster than clear Gorilla glue, but I'm wondering if anyone has other suggestions.

DMJ-Oregon

Reside in Depoe Bay, Central OR Coast.

Appreciate the thoughts!  Would have never thought about using duct tape along the edges of foam for stability/support.  Probably won't do a frame but do plan to use the grass mat on at least the top and sides of my layout.  Still tinkering w/track layout - currently on dining room table - but settled on space no larger than 3'x4'.  Not given much thought to landscape, everything is just flat for now.

Terry Toenges

The duct tape mainly helps with preventing little nicks and dings to the edges and knocking little pieces off.
Feel like a Mogul.