News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fleischmann trains

Started by johneagle7, December 28, 2019, 02:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johneagle7

I have an HO set that I got for Christmas in 1962.  I was in France at the time, and the set was made by Fleischmann.  Of course, the electrical current is different in Europe.  I just got a new HO set for Christmas (Jingle Bell Express).

My question is will the Fleischmann run on the new set?  I haven't had the time yet to set it up, or try it out.

Thanks

jward

Does the Fleischmann run off AC or DC? SOme European trains like Maerklin run off AC power with a line of contact studs down the centerline of the track. ON trains that run off AC, the rails are not electrically isolated from each other, neither are the wheels. Attempting to run a train set up like this on a DC system like Bachmann will result in a dead short that will probably damage your power supply and or locomotive.

If the Fleischmann is DC then is should run on Bachmann track just fine.

Easiest way to tell is to get an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between wheels on opposite sides of any car with metal wheels. If the resistance is 0 it is AC, it it reads infinite or a very high number then it is DC.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

johneagle7

I honestly don't know if it runs on AC, or DC.  I will have to look.  I haven't had the train out for years.  I think I have everything that came with it, all-metal locomotive, cars, tracks, buildings, etc.  I'm going to set it up (the new one) in my basement, but I have to do some rearranging and cleanup first, lol.

Terry Toenges

There are a number of older Fleischmann sets on EBay and they are all DC.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

I have 3 FLeischmann sets, given to me by customers who's, "Kids had outgrown them.", when my shop was still open. They are all DC and run just fine on EZ-Track, or anyone else's code 100 track. They'll run on code 83 track, but don't like the switches very much.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

johneagle7

I found the Powermaster for the 1962 HO train.  It has two connectors, one AC, one DC.  Here is what the top of the controller has on it:

2 Amps
115-120 volts, 60 cycles, AC
Model 200
12 volts DC; 16 volts AC

Made by KF Industries, Philadelphia

I hope this helps.  We do have a train store in the Denver area called Caboose Hobbies.  I may have to go there and see what they say.

Len

The 12V DC should be a variable output to connect to the track for operating the train. The 16V AC is for accessories, e.g., building lights, switch motors, etc.

Len

johneagle7

Thank you for your help on this.  I will try and get things organized and the train(s) set up in the next week or so.  I will update on the progress. 
I am a first-time user here, so bear with me, lol.  Again, thanks for the help.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Quote from: johneagle7 on December 28, 2019, 07:32:05 PM
I am a first-time user here, so bear with me, lol.  Again, thanks for the help.

We all had a first train. And we all learned by doing, with plenty of mistakes along the way. It's a hobby, so enjoy.

Len