News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Street Scene (1:1 Scale)

Started by Len, December 31, 2019, 12:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Look at the building in the foreground with the red sign.  Below the red sign are several small squarish items.  These certainly held tension rods that held up an awning of sorts that met the building between the top of the storefronts and the small square windows above.  This kept the weather off the sidewalk but let abundant natural light through the higher square windows.  I've seen hundreds of buildings like this, holdovers from the days before strong retail fluorescent lighting.

Len

Yup. Just by adjusting little things like that, a building can be made to fit lots of time periods. From just built, with 'Wet Paint' signs still hanging, to ready for gentrification. Or the wreckers ball.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

WoundedBear

I found this video rather interesting......and related to this topic.

https://youtu.be/nSA369kb7n0

Sid

Terry Toenges

That was pretty cool. I noticed the second story doors without balconies. We don't travel much anymore but when we used to, I always liked going off the beaten path. We would take the two lane black tops instead of the interstates. We've seen a lot of towns like those across the country that were put on the back burner when the interstates were built a few miles away.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Interesting. You could really see how the anchor points for the awnings worked in the video. I'm really curious what those upper doors looked like when they still had their balconeys and railings in place. And things like the tiled business names in the entry ways is one of those things I think modelers often overlook. I know I do.

I have to admit, after seeing this one, I had to check out the rest of the '9 Day' videos. Some nice ideas for street scenes in older parts of town, or new parts for scenes set in the boom days, in all of them.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.