News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 4-6-2 Sound Value

Started by graywolf, December 31, 2019, 04:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graywolf

I have the subject 4-6-2 and it recently just derailed. I normally have a hard time putting engines back on the track without the use of a rerailing track. So I put my stronger glasses on and grabbed a flashlight. Upon close inspection I was having difficulty getting the front 4 wheels of the engine to sit on the rails. I took the engine to my workbench and turned it over. I couldn't believe what I found. The front carriage was installed upside down from Bachmann. So this engine was running around the tracks for the past year with it's front carriage floating in the air above the tracks. Quality control???

Trainman203

An easy fix.  Stuff happens.  Fixing stuff is part of model railroading.

Was it really upside down?  Did you check against the exploded diagram?

graywolf

Definitely upside down. The carriage was about 1/8" above the rails. Now it sits on the rails and is free to swivel loosely and follow the rails. Also in the wrong position the carriage was binding against the structure of the engine.

jonathan

This little assembly quirk has been reported before... especially in N scale.

We have to remember our new locomotives are being assembled overseas by young people who know little about steamers. Those pony trucks look very similar even upside down.

Because of this, I usually give my locos a good inspection before placing them on the track. 99% of the time they are fine. I can't remember finding real defects, but occasionally do find small assembly errors which are easy to deal with.

The other common problem are those pesky press fit wire connections with those plastic tabs that hold the wire in place. That's a diesel thing usually.

Regards,

Jonathan

Trainman203

In the steam days railroaders referred to the "front carriage" as the "pilot truck" or the "pony truck".  Just FYI.

The HO parts lists for steam engines have several misnomers.  On one, a non-lifting injector is called a "sand valve" or something similar.  On another, a feed water line is called a "steam pipe."  It's been 60 years and more since steam so I'm not surprised.