News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New paint job for a 44 tonner

Started by Loco Bill Canelos, January 02, 2020, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi All!

I bought two Bachmann 44 tonners with the idea of painting one of them into the Chicago Burlington & Quincy black and grey paint scheme.
Some of you may know that I am a volunteer at the Colorado Rail Road Museum.  One day we were discussing the wretched all black paint job on our 1:1 scale 44 tonner #4
and the need for a snappier paint job.  We ended up painting it in the Burlington colors, with a twist.  The CRRM railroad is called the Golden City and San Juan.  So we modified the logo to make it GC&SJ.
My wife liked the idea so much that she donated the money for the paint, and I agreed to do the painting long with Norm a friend and also a volunteer.  We have the exterior done and over the next few
months will repaint the interior into the standard Burlington green for cab interiors.  Painting and lettering a one to one scale locomotive turned out to be fun so I thought I would
share this photo of it.  

Because my wife made it possible we put her name on the cab as a measure of thanks!   Having done the job on the full sized one I no longer have it in me to do the 1:20.3 version,
so I am hoping the Bach-man will convince management to reissue it with the Burlington colors. LOL!!!  here is the link:

https://flic.kr/p/2i9Wc83

I am part of both the restoration crew and the operating crew at the CRRM.  I am a brakeman, motorman on the Galloping Geese, and also a conductor, most recently on our polar express event.

Here is a link to a photo of Conductor Bill and Polar Express loco #491 a waiting the first run of the evening.

I feel very fortunate to be able to live the dream after 33 years of service to the Army and 19 years after that farming the family farm.

Wishing all of you a great New Year, and loads of fun with your trains in the new year!!!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Joe Zullo

Bill,

I'd love to see the paint job, but neither link is working!  :(

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry Joe,

My son said it worked for him, by just clicking on the link in blue.  I will try a different way tomorrow, and let you know.

Bill

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Joe,

Try the flickr links and let me know if they work ok

Joe Zullo

First link says I need to sign in as a member of Flicker (I'm not a member).

Second link (conductor Bill) works OK. You look every inch the part!  ;)

Loco Bill Canelos

Loco Bill Canelos

Joe,

Well I hope this finally works.  In the past I always used Photobucket, but that site is down so I have started to try flickr.  Clearly I am not adapting to Flickr very well.

Regards,

Bill

Joe Zullo

Quote from: Loco Bill Canelos on January 03, 2020, 12:18:27 PM
Joe,

Well I hope this finally works.  In the past I always used Photobucket, but that site is down so I have started to try flickr.  Clearly I am not adapting to Flickr very well.

Regards,

Bill

Nothing now Bill.

armorsmith

Bill, I have had this issue for quite some time. Farcebook, Flickr, Ransom Bucket, etc all don't want you to link to their sites, unless you are a meber, and therefore trackable. Personally I will forego seeing the pics rather than be tracked by some of the most invasive platforms online. This issue will only get worse as time moves forward.

I have the same issue as Joe, Nadda.

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks guys for the input.  I am at a total loss as to why one link works and the other does not.
I will try to figure it out.

Anyone have any recommendations as to a good reliable photo site??

Bill

jonathan

Bill,

I am normally an HO guy, but have always enjoyed reading your posts and projects. I was able to look at your "conductor" photo and a couple outstanding model photos.

Anyway, I have been using flickr for a while now, as photobucket became unusable... can't even get in to delete my account.

The trick to posting flicker photos:

Select the pic you want to share (open it).

In the lower right is an curved arrow (curves up and right).  That is the sharing icon.  Click it.

Then select the size option.  I usually choose "medium".

NOW THE IMPORTANT PART

Right click the address (link) in the box.  Select "Copy".

Then paste the link to your post on the forum.  Make sure there is a space above and below your new link.

A long address will appear.  This is normal.

You will not see the photo until you save your post to your thread.

Now the photo will appear, instead of the lengthy link you just posted.

This took me a while to figure out, as flickr works differently from photobucket, fotki, or the rest.

Flickr is still free for now, but they are already starting to hit me up about starting a "Pro" account.  It seems flickr stays free until you hit the 1000 photo mark.  So far so good.  Hope that helps

Regards,

Jonathan

Addendum:

I really want to see the 44 tonner paint job.  Bated breath...

Joe Zullo

Bill,

The first photo link tells me I do not have permission to view it without signing in. Perhaps you need to change it somehow and give permission and make it public like the first photo.

Loco Bill Canelos

I believe my first post will now show both photos.

I used Imgur.

Jonathon, Thanks for the detailed instructions.  I used you instructions on Imgur and it worked.  Will try it on flickr as well. but for now Things seem to work, so I will live with things for now.

Thanks to all who helped me out on this!!!

Bill

Joe Zullo

Good to go now. Wow that's a great paint job on the 44 tonner!  ;D

Loco Bill Canelos

Thanks Joe,

It has been quite a hit with visitors 8)

We use the #4 for events when fire danger is high and we can't use our Steam fleet. We will be using it more to save wear and tear on the steam fleet. 

It was actually easier to mask it out than it would have been to do the same job on my 1:20.3 Bachmann 44 tonner!

Bill