STORE
"ASK THE BACH MAN"
FORUM
PARTS, SERVICE,
& INFORMATION
CATALOGS AND
BROCHURES

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 20, 2020, 03:06:40 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Check out the photo gallery link above or >click here< to see photos of recently announced products!
+  Bachmann Message Board
|-+  Discussion Boards
| |-+  HO
| | |-+  HO bachmann locomotive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HO bachmann locomotive  (Read 425 times)
DCrail

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2020, 06:33:00 PM »

I have a few vintage HO Bachmann EMD F9 diesel locomotives. A common problem is the gears in the motor/truck assy. break! These are plastic 8t/18t gears mounted on a steel shaft. There are 2 in the unit. Can anybody help me out?
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 07:20:50 PM »

We’ve said this before.  In today’s model railroad world of limited parts availability and progressive introduction of improved versions of models, a new engine is often the best course.

Modeling the New Iberia and Northern 1945
VTBob

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 10:30:59 PM »

If you can find someone with a 3d printer, sometimes you can make your own gears. I'm in the process of milling my own driveshafts for the Climax gearbox. They don't make/don't have the old parts anymore.

Rob
Calypso

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 12:32:07 AM »

REPAIR TECHNIQUES:

1.) Loctite 271 threadlocker P/N:27121 can be used for adhering a split gear to axle.

SPLIT GEAR FIELD SERVICE KIT:
:  1 EACH.         LOCTITE 271 THREADLOCKER (HIGH STRENGTH)……..........P/N:27121                                    
:  1 EACH.         NMRA HO STANDARDS GAUGE (WITH RP-25 CONTOUR)…....MARK IVb
:  1 EACH.         ELECTRO-WASH CLEANER DEGREASER (PLASTIC SAFE)…....P/N:ES1210  

INSPECTION OF GEAR DRIVE WHEEL ASSEMBLIES:                                                      
:  CLEAN GEAR DRIVE WHEEL ASSEMBLES WITH THE ELECTRO-WASH CLEANER
:  DEGREASER (PLASTIC SAFE).
:  INSPECT THE OUTER END OF THE GEAR HUB FOR SPLITTING OR ELONGATION.
:  HOLDING EACH WHEEL PULL AWAY FROM EACH OTHER.  
:  THE WHEEL IN A SPLIT HUB WILL POP OUT.

REPAIR OF GEAR DRIVE:
:  APPLY A COAT OF LOCTITE 271 IN THE CLEAN GEAR HUB AXLE RECEPTACLE.
:  APPLY A COAT OF LOCTITE 271 TO THE CLEAN WHEEL AXEL.
:  INSERT THE WHEEL AXLE INTO THE GEAR HUB RECEPTACLE. REMOVE EXCESS LOCTITE.
:  USING THE NMRA HO STANDARDS GAUGE, MARK IVb CHECK THAT THE  
:  WHEEL WIDTH IS CORRECT.
:  ALLOW THE REPAIRED GEAR DRIVE WHEEL ASSEMBLES TO CURE OVER NIGHT.    

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:37:35 AM by Calypso » Logged
Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2020, 10:30:46 AM »

Boy.  Let’s build a space shuttle while we’re at it.  If it was me I’d buy a new engine.  I have too much other work to do.

WoundedBear
A Derailed Drag Racer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 01:50:07 PM »

Seeing as how Loctite 271 is a threadlocker (I use it frequently on my dragster), I fail to see how it can adhere the plastic gear to anything.

Where does all this wisdom you post come from?

I would think a strong cyano-acrylate with an activator would be the route to go.

Also.....I don't see the issue of plastic deformation being addressed. What do you do when the pitch of the teeth ends up being disturbed?

Sid

Calypso

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 02:27:42 PM »

DD40AX            

INFORMATION BULLETIN                                                
                                                                       FIELD SERVICE KIT   

NUMBER:                         DD40AX - 001                                 

Title:                                 Gear Drive Wheels Model: H813X-00B01-00H2                                  
                                            splitting at the outer end of the H813X-00B01 gear hub.

APPLICABLE TO:              MAINTENANCE                                 

COMPLIANCE:                  OPTIONAL                                 

Several cases have been reported of Bachmann DD40AX Gear Drive Wheels Model: H813X-00B01-00H2                                                    
   splitting at the outer end of the H813X-00B01 gear hub.                                                   

General                                                   

After fulfilling a sampling inspection of 20 units out of the 30 Bachmann DD40AX in our operational stock, 16 of the 20 units had split gears.                                                   
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 3 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 2 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 4 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 4 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 3 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 0 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 0 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 3 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) Red box DD40AX: 0 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 2 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) blue box DD40AX: 0 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 6 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) blue box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) blue box DD40AX: 4 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         
   (1) blue box DD40AX: 1 gears split (H813X-00B01).                            (1) blue box DD40AX: 5 gears split (H813X-00B01).                         

20 units had there tear down inspections performed on the truck gearboxes.                                                   
   (1.) All parts looked like new.                                                   
   (2.) All gear teeth looked like new.                                                   
   (3.) Out of 160 drive gears, 42 had split hubs and are repairable.                                                   
   (5.) 80 Truck contacts show normal wear except for one.                                                   

ACTION                                                   

Using the DD40AX split gear service kit, all gears where repaired and returned to service.                                                    
   8 units have approximately 5 hours run time on them since the repair with no defects noted.                                                   

COMPLIANCE                                                   

This repair is considered as a permanent repair, it is not recommended to attempt to reverse the repair.  If the service kit is installed                                                   
   incorrectly, a new Gear Drive Wheel assembly will be required. The adhesive requires high temperatures (500 F) for separation.                                                   

ORIGINAL ISSUE:  January 30, 2019                                          DD40AX - 001         

REVISION No.:                                          PAGE 1 OF 1         

WoundedBear
A Derailed Drag Racer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2020, 04:45:50 PM »

20 units had there tear down inspections performed on the truck gearboxes.

The grammatical errors don't help to add any credibility to all this.  Roll Eyes

Sid

Trainman203

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 06:10:01 PM »

I thought they were done their.  😂😂

Len

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »

Sid - While sold as a thread lock, Loctite will set up in other situations where there is pressure contact between the pieces, like when a screw gets torqued, and air can't get at the bond while it sets.

I've used Loctite 271 to keep split pins, like these:

From moving around.

I've also used it with good results on a couple of diesels from another mfg that had wheels that kept getting out of gauge, even though the axle wasn't split.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
WoundedBear
A Derailed Drag Racer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 09:06:09 PM »

I agree Len, but those pins are metal. 271 works fine on metal to metal joints, but has absolutely zero adhesion to plastics. That's where my confusion is coming from. And those engineering plastics that gears tend to get made from, should be even harder for 271 to grip to.

Sid

Len

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:14 AM »

That's what I thought too the first time I heard about using it to secure split axles in plastic gears. But for whatever reason, it works. Magic I guess.

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: