Overland Limited locomotive, DCC ready

Started by Bennieboy, January 06, 2020, 12:26:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennieboy

I've recently decided to upgrade all of my locomotive's (DCC RMready) from DC to DCC. However, I am at a block; is the Overland considered considered a Northern or Niagara? Is the factory installed board able to support sounds or will I need to buy a new board for a speaker?

This is personally not easy because my friends use BLI and Kato so they have no idea either.

rich1998

I would look at the loco diagrams and parts list.
Generally the PC board has a eight pin socket for a decoder and possibly the tender has a spot for a speaker, usually a 28mm round.
There are variations.
I have some Bachmann steamers but non that large that I converted to sound.
Check the SoundTraxx site and TCS site for possible suggestions.

Rich

Len

On the Union Pacific they were commonly referred to as "FEFs" (Four-Eight-Fours). The New York Central called them "Niagras", the Nashvilled, Chattanooga & St. Louis called them "Dixies", and most everybody else, with a few exceptions, called them "Northerns", since they originated on the Great Northern.

If you have the later version of the Overland Limited 4-8-4 that's DCC Ready it has a dummy plug that has to be removed to install a non sound decoder. If you want sound, you'll have to get a sound decoder, speaker, and figure out your own speaker installation.

Note there are significant differences between the internals of the Bachmann 4-8-4 "Overland LImited (Later Version)" and other Bachmann 4-8-4's. So make sure you use the exploded diagram for the "Overland Limited (Later Version)" when locating things. The 'Overland Limited (Earlier Version)' was not DCC Ready. The 'Later Version' diagram can be found here:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HOOVERLANDSET4-8-4(LaterVersion).pdf

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.