A question regarding DCC and DC on the same layout

Started by Terry Toenges, January 07, 2020, 02:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I have both DCC E-Z Command and DC power supplies. I have both DCC and DC locos.  My On30 stuff is all DCC. When I want to use my HO DC stuff, I can unplug the E-Z Command and plug those wires into the Bachmann DC controller.
My question is about the turnouts - I know I won't be able to operate the turnouts without the DCC hooked up. Will they be ok in the layout if I hook up the DC for the DC trains and operate them manually? It won't mess them up will it?
I know I can run one of the DC locos on address #10.  I've been doing that but I worry about burning them out. I know that I can hook up a DC controller to the E-Z Command. That still has the power to the track all the time.
I figure I can just swap the wires and hook up the DC controller for those locos. That way, when I turn it off, the power to the track is off.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 07, 2020, 02:47:06 PM
. . .
My question is about the turnouts - I know I won't be able to operate the turnouts without the DCC hooked up. Will they be ok in the layout if I hook up the DC for the DC trains and operate them manually? It won't mess them up will it?

. . . .

A E-Z Command DCC Turnout will not be harmed when DC power on track.

rich1998

I have run a couple DC locos some years ago on a MRC2K, like the EZ Command,   and they would buzz but I would put them on a siding and turn off the siding sometimes.
I measured the motors with an infra red temp scanner with the loco on a test stand and the armature gets hotter with the motor stopped and power still applied. Where the brushes contact the armature gets hot.
I would use the DC loco as a pusher. Never had a damaged motor.
You can buy a temp scanner from Amazon and easy to calibrate. I sometimes use it when cooking or baking.
I use to use them in industry some years ago.

Rich

Terry Toenges

Thank you both. I haven't had any issues with them yet but a couple of times I got "sidetracked" and left the room with a DC loco on the track without shutting off the E-Z Command.
I figure that since I still have some HO things I might as well run them. I want to run my HO Kansas City St. Louis and Chicago set with the 2-4-0. The old loco isn't so good but I found a new one for a decent price. I'm getting some McHenry knuckle couplers for them.
Plus, I've got the oldie stuff like John Bull, Lafayette, and DeWitt Clinton.
Even though I'm partial to steam and had no plans to buy any diesels, I found a couple of HO DCC War Bonnet F-7's with sound. I've never had a diesel with sound. I found some "War Bonnet" passenger cars to go with them.
That's another reason I'm trying to straighten out some of this track and use more larger curves. The SF cars are just a little longer than the On30 passenger cars. If the On30 cars are making it ok, then the SF cars should also.
Feel like a Mogul.

Hunt

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 07, 2020, 11:35:04 PM
. . .. The SF cars are just a little longer than the On30 passenger cars. If the On30 cars are making it ok, then the SF cars should also.

One of the main factors is coupler swing.

Terry Toenges

Coupler swing was an issue with the On30 passenger cars before I changed it. They do ok now. I might have to make more changes once I get the new cars. I ordered a new turnout to replace the one that is messing up. I'll have to get that one in there in order to check it all out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just ran my HO Amtrak set through it all, in and out of the various loops and combinations. It did good.
The wheel base (truck screw to truck screw) on those is 6". The wheel base on On30 passenger cars is about 5 3/8". They are both about the same total length. The Amtrak cars have truck mounted horn hook couplers.
It didn't have any trouble with the turnout that was causing problems with Heisler.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I received six of the seven war bonnet passenger cars. The seventh is an observation car that was separate and I haven't go it yet. I've been running them with my "birthday present from my son-in-law" DC Johnny Cash diesel until I get the DCC F-7's.
The passenger cars are Athearn. On the instructions in the box, there is a note that says that since 1998 all Athearn cars come equipped with Bachmann E-Z Mate couplers. I did not know that but I haven't bought any Athearn cars.
I've had to do a little tweaking on my inner loop. The first or second car behind the loco was coming off at the turnout. The rest would go though ok. I put a piece of cardboard under the inside of the turnout and they seem to be doing ok now.
I'm not sure what it is but that end of the layout must be sloped somehow because cars will roll to that end.
Feel like a Mogul.