News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams power upgrade kit

Started by Winnipeg O gauge guy, January 07, 2020, 03:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winnipeg O gauge guy

I have a Williams MW EP-5 and a CP FP45 that I bought about 20 years ago, They both came with a dummy unit that had a sound board. I thought it would be neat if I powered them up with the Williams power upgrade kit, and it looks like it's easy to install. I'm looking at the image in the catalog, and it looks like the kit comes with only one power unit. Is that correct? That's not much power for an engine that size. Has anyone out there have any experience doing this conversion?

Len

The kit for the FP45 comes with two power trucks and a reversing board. The pic shows 4-wheel trucks, but it's actually the 6-wheel trucks.
https://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=491_555&products_id=3767&zenid=stl04ffmo1uhj232aebf7u0uj7

You're out of luck on the EP-5 the trucks are different and don't appear to be sold as a kit. The individual trucks, motors, and reverse units are listed in the replacement parts section, but the trucks are out of stock. And I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to become available again.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hi Winnipeg O gauge guy,

671 here.

One thought on your upgrade. The can motors within your original 20 plus year old units, do they have visible rotating "Fly wheels" on the top outside of the can motors? If yes...the new replacement truck/motor combination should work well. The Fly wheels prevent abrupt stoppage of the motor. They aid in a more of a coasting stop.
If one loco has the non-coasting motors, and the other has the coasting motors ... operational performance may be compromised.

Just a thought...before money and time is spent.

Older Williams locos have non coasting motors. I do not know what year they changed to the coasting motors. I own a Williams dual motor loco with non-coasting motors. I upgraded it with new Williams' control and sound. Wired the motors in series. It runs well and pulls like an Ox.

Just some thoughts...671

Winnipeg O gauge guy

Yes indeed my EP-5 and my FP 45 both have flywheel motors. My only concern is the sound system. They both have a full sound system with locomotive sounds, etc. But there's little else in the dummy unit, so there's probably enough room for everything. Thanks for the heads up!

Hi Winnipeg O gauge guy,

671 here.

Try website Nicholas Smith Trains.

He has listed a F-3 upgrade kit @ $129.99  This looks like a typo error.

Upon opening that F-3 page ... the picture is of the F-3 upgrade unit BUT the description is for the EP-5 kit along with E-7 and the Alco PA.
You may be in luck...look it up and contact them to make sure.

Good Hunting

Let smoke get in your eyes...Re-visit your childhood,

Winnipeg O gauge guy

Hi Winnipeg O gauge guy,

671 here.

Try Trainland, they are showing a 6 wheel upgrade kit at $134.99 .... I am not sure if this is exactly what you need.
It is listed under Williams train parts in the accessory section.

Hope this is it,

Winnipeg O gauge guy

That's a big difference from the $219.95 list price in the Bachmann catalog! I'll look into it. Maybe they have a reverse board as well. Bachmann is sold out of them.