News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Installing DCC and sound into Alco 2-6-0

Started by Bennieboy, January 06, 2020, 01:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennieboy

My little Mogul is DCC ready and I want to make it DCC equipped with sound.

What will I need to make that happen besides a dual mode decoder (DC/DCC)?

rich1998

jonathan

Fair warning:

After market soundtraxx sound decoders have the capability to be dual mode (DC/DCC). HOWEVER, they are not programmed that way from the factory.  You will have to program the decoder for dual mode.  If you do not know how to do this, you will need a DCC savvy helper, to get your sound loco to run on DC.  'nuff said.

Regards,

Jonathan

rich1998

Good point, Jonathan. I forgot about that. It has been some years since I did SoundTraxx installs.
I never used the dual mode option. Cannot remember why.

Rich

Bennieboy

I currently have a DC layout, so I wont be able to use the soundtraxx decoders until I buy a DCC system. Is there any other decoder company that has sounds and can work dual mode straight from the factory?

rich1998

By the way, do not get the EZ Command. You cannot modify CV's.
I have used the NCE Power Cab.
Tony's Trains compares DCC systems.
Do some research for a controller.
No idea about the decoder question. Sorry.
\
Rich

Trainman203

When you do go DCC , buy a couple of engines with DCC/sound already installed.  Then you can operate right away and install decoders and speakers in the other engines at leisure.

NCE offers great advice in the material that comes  with their product. Before doing anything to your layout, practice installing your new system on a separate loop of track or a test track.. 

rich1998

Good idea. I forgot about that also. I bought a new Bachmann 4-6-0 some years ago with onboard sound. Never tried it with DC though. Now I wish I did. I remember removing the DC option to prevent runaways on DCC.

Rich